Employees access to facebook etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies.

If you feel your business could be put at risk i would seriously consider blocking social networking sites completely.
    Thats part of the problem - I'm unsure of the risks.

myspace poses no threat to the firefox browser. neither does facebook.
    Thanks Gabe - this is the sort of reassurance I'm after.

I'm not against staff using the PC's for personal stuff, and agree that it helps develop interests that could benefit the business (they have already set up a MySpace page for the shop), it just a matter of how to keep it under control.

I know myself how addictive social networking can be, and must assume that the same temptations to 'take a quick look at this or that' during work times (just as we do with this forum), exist for the staff too.

What are your views on monitoring staff browsing?
    Anybody use any kind of monitoring software?
    Is it legal (assuming you are monitoring internet browsing, and not snooping personal emails)?
    What level of restrictions would you impose?

- explain the risks (which I have done anyway), and let them have total freedom
    - block certain activities (ones that spring to my mind are - video streaming, which may create bandwidth problems, no access to usb or other inputs/outputs without permission eg usb sticks, ipods etc - no software installations)

Am I the only paranoid one, or does anyone else cover their backs?

Anyone with a written PC usuage policy in place?

Comment

I like Gareth's idea the best, sounds like a happy medium, but it would be for half hour IMO. Best thing in this situation is to think how you would feel on the end of the decision you make, if you'd be happy and understand, then they will also.

We had a similar problem at the RAC years ago, a reminder once a month that 'surfing times have been escalating and we are doing spot checks on usage' used to be as good a deterrent as any. People know when they are taking the piss, they just need to know that you are watching them take the piss. Annual reviews a good time to bring out the stats.

Comment

ive just been looking into blogging etc after reading this thread

not been my cup of tea really bu till try anything to promote the missus new venture

im an irc kiddie of old, or forums

another way to promote the shop is let each person update the shops blog,
        sort of take turns each day or every other day to promote you and at the same time they get a little sniff of there own

carrot and stick i think its called

reguarding policy, you just need to advise if monitoring, and to what degree
        advise all staff what is and isnt allowed, and if specific times are set aside that they are aware
        Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
        Current project:
        cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
        cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
        Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Originally posted by cHEAPPRICES4U
          i
          im an irc kiddie of old, or forums
          I still use mIRC/pIRCh now!
          ooh..hang on... I quit.. kinda..
          Tracey

Comment

I do agree - I think Gareths suggestion makes a lot of sense, allowing freedom, but also setting boundaries.
            Its not quite so easy to implement within a shop as it would be in an office, as the staff have access to the PC's, but are not sat at their own personal PC, so you can't say personal time is 11-12, as each person has different times when they are on breaks, but I like the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
              I do agree - I think Gareths suggestion makes a lot of sense, allowing freedom, but also setting boundaries.
              Its not quite so easy to implement within a shop as it would be in an office, as the staff have access to the PC's, but are not sat at their own personal PC, so you can't say personal time is 11-12, as each person has different times when they are on breaks, but I like the idea.

then why not lock down the main shop pcs using a firewall etc and have a pc soley used for personal "stuff" that way its out of the view/gaze of customers
              and the staff can use them on there breaks

just let staff know that all "shop" pcs are for work only and the "staf" pc is in the back room

therefore no compromise on your network as such

and old pc with a nice linux firewall on should suffice
              Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
              Current project:
              cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
              cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
              Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

I have a similar situation here, i allow them access to the web, yet i use the firewall to block certain keywords but this is not perfect, block the word sex and essex, sussex e.t.c get blocked aswell.

I have restirctions set to refuse msn connections, and the such like and cetain sites. I know some get through, and as i spot one i look at the site i then decided wether or not to add it, but i tell them i have added it and my reasons for blocking. I am a believer in allowing access, controary to the MD's wishes but he is comming around, slowly.

Let them have it but control what it is on the grounds of network integraty. Also set some ground rules. Iknow some of this has been covered but just MO

Cheers
                Darren

Comment

I am on Holiday this week and spent the day in Norwich with the other half

We went into the House of Fraser and found the store vertually empty but numbers of staff in groups of two and three all over the place just talking and not one asked if they could assist or even looked up at us wandering around

Problem was lack of leadership, and letting the staff forget why they were there.

Suggestion if they have no need for the internet dont give it to them, whatever you do now will be watered down over the years and you have lost control. all the happy staff etc mentioned is pure waffel, if they do their job properly they will be happy and you will
                  Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                  X