Disappointed with Vista - buying a Mac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointed with Vista - buying a Mac

I've done a search, but can't find a definitive answer - it seems that Actinic is OK on an Apple Mac, but is anyone here happily running Windows versions of Studio 8 (Flash, Dreamweaver, fireworks) and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word etc) on a Mac??

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Probably the best move you'll ever make. However, you have to relalise to still use Actinic you're going to have to use either VMware Fusion or Paralells Desktop to run a version of Windows on your desktop. Steer clear of Crossover Office for Mac as it's a stinking pile of poo. XP on VMWare and Parallels works really well but ensure you're Mac has enough RAM to cope with it (I have 3gb on my iMac and 2gb on my Macbook and it's plenty enough).

I use it every day after binning PC's about 2 years ago after getting fed up of the constant formatting and re-installing.

Comment

oh what world we live in, me i hate both macs an pcs but given the choice vista for me, once you work around the querks, but to be honest, it is less of a troublesome system IMO with regards networks, software but im sure others will not agree

Comment

as soon as xp is no longer supported, i'm switching 100% to debian.

i'm sick and tired of vista. its making my life difficult.

Comment

Ah Gabe, you see that is because i am a mere, mortal, i dont dance with the devil and play with code, so for me tis not a problem

now that said. i wish you well on you crusade with the mac, an am sure you will have many a happy time

as for you Gabe, you lose me everytime

Comment

*hangs head*

WHY MICROSOFT WHY??!?

*cries*

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
              i'm sick and tired of vista. its making my life difficult.
              Get married, it will give you a good grounding into those issues.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                13 years so probably why i can hadle vista, experience

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                  pmsl

this forum is making me highly emotional today!!
                  Laughter and tears...all caused by one website!
                  Bravo, Actinic!!
                  Tracey

Comment

I'm 11 years on the moro, so i am not far off Vista ready myself.

Comment

Ive just bought a new PC and Laptop off DELL who still offer XP. Several others do as well.

Comment

ive nto stepped to the dark side of vista yet

but maybe after 12yrs with missus and finally getting married in a few weeks i may too drift to the dark side

*sniff* ill miss 2k3 server *sniff wibble wibble*
                        Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
                        Current project:
                        cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
                        cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
                        Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                          I've done a search, but can't find a definitive answer - it seems that Actinic is OK on an Apple Mac, but is anyone here happily running Windows versions of Studio 8 (Flash, Dreamweaver, fireworks) and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word etc) on a Mac??
                          Hey Mark

If you do take the plunge and go for a mac (a must have IMHO if you do a lot of graphical work) then if you can, go for the mac versions of CS3 rather than the hybrid. It is what they were written on and for

I would defo go for a MINIMUM 3GB of ram on you iMac, if you can, spec it up to 4gb, you will be happy you did and this will most probably be the last bit of kit you need to buy for quite a looooooooooooong time.

Myself, run both and use Mac for design and Windoze for all mundane stuff, kpi reports, accounts and db configuration and general messing.

Regards
                          Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                          Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Thanks Guys - think I'll get my plastic cranked up for when Leopard comes out in October - includes "Boot Camp" ability to boot up in OSX or Windows

PS - Los Design - you're absolutely right about CS3, but I have to get windows (Parallels/Boot Camp) anyway to run Actinic so I thought I'd delay the cost of CS3 for now and just run Studio 8

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                              PS - Los Design - you're absolutely right about CS3, but I have to get windows (Parallels/Boot Camp) anyway to run Actinic so I thought I'd delay the cost of CS3 for now and just run Studio 8
                              I take it you have been made aware of the upsell upgrade discounts Adobe are offering??

(I used it to go from PS CS2 to WP CS3 and then onto CS3 Master Suite )
                              Would save you a bundle mate...

Regards
                              Daren
                              Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                              Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Working...
                              X