Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Laptops any good?

Hi Guys

I never normally stray far from the HP path but my interest was caught recently by an ad for an Acer Business Lappy with XPP

Anyone care to comment on performance, service etc from this brand?

Many tanks all...
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

i had an acer table seemed fine on the whole the touchpad was slighlty irratic at times, the keyboard needed a fix applying for silly faults

but over all great machine

now i have a hp nc6320 seems fine for most business use i use it for like 6 hrs + each day
    Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
    Current project:
    cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
    cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
    Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Originally posted by Cheapprices4u
      i had an acer table seemed fine on the whole the touchpad was slighlty irratic at times, the keyboard needed a fix applying for silly faults

but over all great machine

now i have a hp nc6320 seems fine for most business use i use it for like 6 hrs + each day
      I currently use an HP nx8220 and have looked at many of the new HP's, just curious about the Acer as the price seems a bit keen for what they are offering (2.0g duel core, 160gb HDD, full XPP)

Comment

We've had 3 acers and have had overall good experiences.

Nik has an Aspire and it gets heavily used and abused. He's had the odd key fall off it but that's down to abuse really!
        My first one (Aspire) was slow... booted up VERY slowly even when new and empty (of software)
        Admittedly only had 512mg ram but so does Nik's and his runs a LOT of stuff at once.

Had to get a new one so plumped for a TravelMate which I LOVE!
        It's much lighter/slimmer..a LOT cooler (the Aspire used to get really hot!..probably me pushing it) and has been very reliable.

I'd definitely recommend them as long as you can get the spec you want/need

JMO obviously

I should add...my laptop is switched on for approx 15+ hours a day and "used" for about 10-12 of those.
        Tracey

Comment

cheers Tracey, the input, as usual is concise and straight to the point

Comment

I used an Acer Travelmate 4020 for 18 months as my main machine (upgraded to 1gb memory) the only problem it ever manifested was the built in modem (which i used all the time when travelling) but this was only minor as i already had a PCMCIA modem card which i switched to. I tend to always use an external mouse, but when i used the touchpad it was fine.

I passed it on to my 15 year old nephew who still uses it (and abuses it)

Altogether i was happy with it. I've see nthe latest ads for an ACEr at PC world - must admit it looks keen.

When i upgraded i went with a tosh satelllitePro as i wanted smaller and lighter

Comment

we use an acer travelmate 4650, no problems on this one for over two years, used every day for at least ten hours.
              We had one before but the circuit board fried after getting covered in sugar!
              Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Read a debate on Acer on another forum a while back, they come out well for reliability and good value.

Son II has one, with no problems reported etc. (apart from the fact that he got expelled from school for three days for a Bebo comment, but I guess thats not really Acers fault)
                Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

we use one Acer laptop for my main machine (although actinic work has switched now to another machine)

it has been fine and had no problem at all with it.

it probably needs more memory as i am alrady overloading it and as it has been mentioned earlier it gets slightly hot

Comment

I've had a few Acers and currently use a TravelMate 6460 (using XP Pro). This is a business oriented laptop with lots of security features. Fingerprint reader, TPM hardware, etc. I've had no hardware problems to speak off and it does get rather well stress tested being used in 40C hot Turkish summers.

I had one serious software issue, in that drivers for the Logitech web-cam built into the lid conflicted fatally with ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I had to abandon ZA and use Norton in order to keep operational. A recent ZoneAlarm update has finally fixed that.
                    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

DELL RULE

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                        DELL RULE
                        oh you just like to be different
                        Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                          DELL RULE
                          Not even with a barge pole

Comment

We currently have three Acer laptops in service.

Two have had motherboard problems just out of warranty (on one the on switch stopped working, the other has both a non-working cd writer/dvd reader combi and a screen that shuts off as soon as you log on to the m/c - drives the external LCD just fine)

I still rate them as good machines though. Both saw 16 hour daily use and some intense (non-actinic) database use.
                            Bill
                            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Not even with a barge pole
                              Go on - you know you want to really - the rat would buy them

Comment

Working...
                              X