Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PCmover - any good

Hi all

Tried a search for this product on the forum but nothing there.

Anyway - I have a new pc and I want to transfer most of the data from our old pc without having to go through all the loading of software etc.

I came accross PCMover from laplink which seems to do everthing we want ie copy all your applications (or selected applications) from 1 pc to another.

Has any one used this or have any experience of this?

I am not planning to do this during busy times but I want to be ready to go during the Christmas break so I am just getting everything in place.

Any comments and sugestions welcome.
    Ian
    Commercial Cleaning Cambridgeshire

You are really best installing program from scratch and then copying data - a bigger pain but will save lots of heartache - especially with the registry.

I recently moved using Ghost - it worked for about 98% of the programs but did require XP fixing itself several times to get to a happy balance.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I am with Jonty on this one.

Short term pain will definitely help with a long term gain. Especially when going from XP to Vista (if this is the case)

Regards
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
        Especially when going from XP to Vista (if this is the case)

Regards
        No I'm sticking with XP

The problem I have is that I have a lot of downloaded software that I would need to re-download (pay again also)

Just looking for a way to save this really.

Cheers for your comments.
        Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Legends
          No I'm sticking with XP

The problem I have is that I have a lot of downloaded software that I would need to re-download (pay again also)

Just looking for a way to save this really.

Cheers for your comments.
          Ian, all I can say is

D'oh

If I ever download software, I always keep the software on an external drive with the relevant keys etc..but hindsight and all that, so no help here mate sorry.

You could try the support areas for the software, there must be/could be an option to download using existing details?
          Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
          Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Reinstall is the only way.

often with downloaded software all you need is your email addy and password and you can recover keys etc.

Comment

Originally posted by los_design

If I ever download software, I always keep the software on an external drive with the relevant keys etc..but hindsight and all that, so no help here mate sorry.
              I do have all the software backed up onto an external hard drive and yes I can re download it and re install no problem.

I was really just asking if any of you had any experience with moving from one pc to another.

I have about 20 applications that I use regularly and just wanted opinions or advice on any easy ways to get these from one to another.

Thanks for your input.
              Ian

Comment

In many cases as Jonty mentioned you can get away with Ghosting your original machine and then restoring the Ghost to your new machine - even with different hardware. You will probably have to reboot a number of times afterwards and update drivers but in many cases it will be fine. (if the machines are only in a workgroup and not in a domain)

You cannot beat a clean install though which is certainly the best route.

Comment

Duncan

Will ghosting overwrite everything on the new PC - I have a couple of application with the new pc that I want to keep also I have XPpro on the new machine and XPhome on the old one.

Cheers
                  Ian

Comment

Restoring a Ghost will completely overwrite the partition or disk.

Comment

I was really just asking if any of you had any experience with moving from one pc to another.
                      I always view a pc move as an opportunity to get a new clean machine. The main reason I wouldn't move is it gives the opportunity to bring old and bad stuff over. Coupled with the fact that over the past few years you will have installed all sorts of stuff that you consequently uninstalled - this degrades the overall performance - hence my recommendation to do a complete reinstall.

Comment

Thanks Duncan

Jo - thanks for that - looks like I'll have to start Christmas afternoon rather than boxing day!

Cheers for your input guys
                        Ian

Comment

Working...
                        X