NAS Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS Devices

OK been looking around for a basic storage device and stumbled acros this one

For the money i thought it was a good deal, anyone used one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

Cheers
    D

be careful.
    many of these NAS devices use the old fashioned FAT32 format - this is susceptible to corruption occasionally and is not very friendly when it comes to trying to recover information from them.
    good ones come with NTFS formatting, far, far superior and will "tollerate" crashes an awful lot more,

another point, NTSF can offer full XP security, whereas FAT32 is limited support - not sure if thats important to you.

this particular model is USB2 - although good, you must have the "parent" PC turned on in order to see it elsewhere on the network. If you can stretch to it, try to go for one with a CAT5 connection rather than USB2

one other thing to note, you may end up needing to go deep into the settings to restrict the "go to sleep" power saving modes, these devices take a while to spin up and in the early days, you think the damned system has frozen.

Comment

ive been looking at these for a while

but gone for the using the old pc and slapping in some hd's

a good old fashion file server

external nas case £30'ish 500gb hd £60'ish

so price aint bad tbh
      Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
      Current project:
      cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
      cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
      Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

This review put me off that device immediatley:
        'NTFS not working on LAN !! , 16 Sep 2007 '

Comment

Kev

The model is both Lan and usb 2, the fat 32 issue is not really a problem, i dont intend to try and store files over 4gb which is a fat32 limitation and security is not really to much of a issue. It can also be formated to NTFS but it probably would not work on the lan only usb 2.0

I simple intend to use this as an external back up device, in the event of something dire happening i at least have copies. It will sit on my SOHO network behind the firewall aswell and this model does not specify http or ftp access, so main security risk from the internet is avoided, and to be honest what im storing has no real worth except my time losing documents, and site files.

D

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
            This review put me off that device immediatley:
            'NTFS not working on LAN !! , 16 Sep 2007 '
            I dont see this as an issue though duncan, however anyone got any other suggestions for similar value

D

Comment

My PC's are always on but if I had deeper pockets and I was looking for one I'd consider something like this, NAS and RAID:
              http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10876

If you keep at least one of your PCs on and you want something fast and cheaper then just get a firewire 800 external drive.

Comment

ooooh thats nice Duncan

Maybe a little over the top for what im after but its a nice piece of kit.

D

Comment

Hi Darren
                  we've just done this - binned the server (put it to other duties) and installed an NAS - the Qnap TS 209 Pro with a couple of RAID mirrored 160GB discs in:
                  http://www.qnap.co.uk/

We found we could buy the TS 209 Pro and HDD discs more cheaply, separately, from other sources; we got the discs from DABS4work.com, but I can't remember who supplied the TS 209 - I'll look it up tomorrow.

It's fab! Much quicker response than the server and none of the server maintenance like firewall, av, bleeding XP updates etc.
                  Plus, if you needed to, it has built in facilities for use as a web repository.

We also had a free QBACK-25 thrown in - a brilliant little USB 2 backup disc (HDD you have to source separately).
                  NB, if you did go for the Qback-25, it uses EIDE, not SATA.

Very satisfied with it.
                  Kind Regards
                  Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

thanks for that, i like the set up and recon that would be just about what im looking for.

I will search around and see what the best price is for this and the drives

Cheers
                    D

Comment

Originally posted by completerookie
                      good ones come with NTFS formatting
                      nay sir, good ones come with raid and ext3.

got a spare computer, of useless spec?

try this.

Comment

supplimental: i use this one. and it has never failed. Ever.

Comment

Ohh thanks Gabe, see i knew it was worth posting on here

D

Comment

Hi Darren
                            this is where we bought the TS-209 Pro:

http://www.xspo.co.uk/product.php?pid=5151

Sean
                            Kind Regards
                            Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Working...
                            X