Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Europe's Space Freighter

From the BBC news website.

Europe's space freighter, the ATV, has had its propulsion system fully restored after an earlier glitch had closed down a quarter of its thrusters.
    After two days analysis of the problem and some heavy duty simulation the engineers identified a possible workaround. Read on for insight into the wonders of modern technology:

Jules Verne was launched on Sunday by an Ariane 5 rocket from the Kourou spaceport in French Guiana.

Shortly after it was deployed, engineers received data indicating a large difference in pressures between the oxidiser and the fuel going through one of the ATV's four "propulsion chains". These are complex networks of pipes and valves leading from the fuel tanks to the thrusters; and the space truck has four of them.

As a precaution, the chain - comprising seven of the ATV's 28 attitude control jets and one of its four main engines - was shut down.

Spare propulsion capacity on the spacecraft meant the freighter's operation was never compromised, but engineers said they wanted to resolve the glitch as soon as possible.

That fix was initiated on Tuesday and involved first disabling all the propulsion chains before then progressively bringing them all back online.
    Yeah! the turned it off and on again.

Nothing much changes.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

It's amazing what can be done with XP these days you know.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding
      It's amazing what can be done with XP these days you know.
      More likely DOS 3.11 - things like rocket science need reliable operating systems...
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I've got 2 humungous Perscii 8" dual floppy drives sitting in my attic. I'm just waiting for the call as they're still in use in the Space Shuttle and NASA are running out of spares. And I'm probably one of the few around who knows how to align the heads.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
          And I'm probably one of the few around who knows how to align the heads.
          You need to put that on Drillpine ... information is worth its weight in gold.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
          X