Kubuntu Remote Access to Windows XP Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Remote Access to Windows XP Actinic

My original plan setting up WINE in Kubuntu and install Actinic does not work out

I am thinking remote access as alternative. I have seen quite a few threads using logmein, hamachi, ultravnc and realvnc etc. But all these programs are Windows Based.

Can anyone suggested Linux (Kubuntu) based remote access please??

This is the setup i am planning to do:

Warehouse machine always-on as Windows XP with Actinic V8, then using kubuntu remotely access (VPN) into the machine.

To be honest - if it is not for Actinic I would not be using XP.

Any suggestion welcome.
    Vincent
    United Herbs

Hamachi has a Linux flavour, don't know if it will work on your setup but give it a whirl. We have just started using it here and so far it has been brilliant!
    Cheers

David
    Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

give up feller.

as a wine user, i can tell you that you'll never get it working properly, and no real support can come your way should problems arise.

vnc is your solution, or a vmware guest session.

Actinic is for windows, period.

Comment

Originally posted by uh_vm
        hamachi, ultravnc and realvnc etc. But all these programs are Windows Based.
        not true, please rtfm

none of those apps were created for windows.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe

give up feller.

as a wine user, i can tell you that you'll never get it working properly, and no real support can come your way should problems arise.
          WINE user!! We should set up some kind of Linux community in Actinic

The VNC solution you refer to is ultravnc or realvnc?

I am worrying kubuntu will not have any 'viewer' module to go back to the host. The setting for both vnc package sounds like your host and clients are both windows based. am i understand correctly?
          Vincent
          United Herbs

Comment

UltaVNC is good (there is a linux version I believe), but I prefer to use the free version of Logmein these days (runs ok on linux in Firefox).

Comment

you install ultravnc on your xp machine then use the built in kde vnc remote desktop viewer on your kubuntu machine.

Comment

gabriel,

from your experience does "the built in kde vnc remote desktop viewer" work with any host i.e. hamachi??
                Vincent
                United Herbs

Comment

hamachi is a vpn client, and so therefore anything that uses a netowrk connection will be able to send traffic over it.

I type this message from an xp box i'm controlling from my slackware box, 6 miles away.

Comment

those host i.e. your xp box presume it is not a server, do you really leave them on 24-7? The reason I ask is security - I guess you might need to setup a router for the Internet access. So that it give you some sort of firewall filtering.

many thanks for your pointers.

i will starts testing it for the easter holiday but let's install Gutsy on the laptop first.

happy easter.

cheers
                    Vincent
                    United Herbs

Comment

the xp machine is connected via a linux based router.

*nothing* gets through that i dont want through.

Comment

I use vpn's behind a wan facing firewall and its like all things though, if you have a connection then someone somewhere can break it, but at the end of the day how much energy is someone going to apply to your system. No disrespect there are other things out there worth hacking that would reward more.

most attacks are just maliscious snooping anyway

D

Comment

Working...
                        X