From Vista to Mac Book Pro!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Vista to Mac Book Pro!

I'm binning my Vaio with Vista because it's CRAP (Vista that is).

I'm picking up a new Mac Book Pro on Thursday.

Any tips on running Actinic on a Mac.

VMWare or Parallels?

Is 2GB of RAM enough?

Any help/tips would be great!

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,

Les

Abc Baby Gifts
    Snuggle Feet
    Baby Casting From My Perfect Impression

I'm binning my Vaio with Vista because it's CRAP (Vista that is).
    Any reason why you can't put XP on the Vaio?

Comment

Hi Jo,

My Vaio is new and was only bought last week after my old Vaio of 6 years died on me last Monday. The new Vaio was a SONY VGN-FZ38M and after I connected Vaio support I was told that some drivers for it where not around for XP, so a XP downgrade was not possiable.

I've also had enough of Windows as well (XP and Vista), so a new Mac is the way forward to me.

I took it back to Comet today, I had to see the manager in the end, but in the end they exchanged it for a Mac Book Pro to be delivered on Thursday.
      Regards,

Les

Abc Baby Gifts
      Snuggle Feet

Comment

hi ive got an imac here with leopard on

ive tried xp and vista in parrallels and bootcamp
        both perform well
        i did have problems uploading actinic from within parrallels might of been me though

bootcamp is great but if like me you have adobe on the mac side its a pain switching between the two
        also if you use dreamweaver fro editing actinic you might want it on the windows install not the mac side

or run your old pc somewhere and use something like realvnc to access it and do actinic stuff on that one

as for ram i had 1gig now have 3 gig
        no problems with either

BTW mine is 2.16ghz imac and it performs well

think i might give parrallels ago again as switching is begining to do my fruit in
        Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
        Current project:
        cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
        cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
        Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Gabe (who tends to know about these things....) mentioned VMWare the other day, and suggested sticking with XP on your Mac, which would make some sense given your experience with Vista.

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=37257

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

is true. Putting Vista on your mac would be like using the blunt end of a billiards cue, when you're got a perfectly chalky and pointy end to use.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

You're right! Vista won't be going anywhere near my Mac, it wasted so much of my time last week, I'm really put off by Vista at the moment and I was running Vista with SP1.

I'm going to run XP Pro on the Mac and need to test both VMWare or Parallels, both have good reviews. Any comments would help on that.

I've got CS3 for PC and Mac, I'm going to run all programs, CS3, Mac MS Offices.... all on the Mac. The only program I need to run via VMWare or Parallels is going to Actinic. It's a shame I need to run virtual XP behind the Mac OS, as one of the main versions for buying a Mac is the stable OS.

Any ideas when Actinic might get release for a Mac OS?

The Mac Book Pro I'm getting has 2GB of Ram and a Core 2 Duo runnnig at 2.4Ghz. I might upgrade the Ram to 3 or 4 GB later.

Another question, normally when I install XP Pro on a PC I spend a few hours securing it with updates, Spam and Anti-virus progams. So when I install XP Pro onto the Mac with Bootcamp do I need to do the same? (Yes I think).
              Regards,

Les

Abc Baby Gifts
              Snuggle Feet

Comment

Originally posted by lessharma View Post
                Any ideas when Actinic might get release for a Mac OS?
                Never. Actinic isn't portable at all, in terms of source code, and dependencies.

<plug>However, at this point, I should point you to my sig. Should you buy another apple, you can still get to your shop data using your browser.</plug>

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
                  <plug>However, at this point, I should point you to my sig. Should you buy another apple, you can still get to your shop data using your browser.</plug>

This is a fact that is very much undiscovered imho, I'm pretty sure you need to sell this to the mac loving crew Mr Pink.
                  Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

VMware is much better than parallels according to the stats.

I'd reccomend bootcamping the mac first with XP, then use VMWare to open the bootcamp partition.

That way, you have a native speed OS should you find it gets a bit bogged down in VMWare.

Make sure you have plenty of RAM. I'm running 3Gigs on my iMac and i try to dedicate about 1 to VMware.

Also, check out the VMware unity option, which gives you the ability to put icons for XP apps on your dock, run XP apps in their own mac window, and use the taskbar on a normal mac screen - very handy, like having a mac that runs windows apps.
                    http://www.itwiz.co.uk

http://www.AntiV.net - The Discount Antivirus Store

Comment

ive just done something similar but using parrallels to acess the bootcamp partition
                      but all works well

now im just testing some programe to get my emails over to entourage

all looking good just now
                      Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
                      Current project:
                      cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
                      cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
                      Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Parallels also has the option to run windows apps on the mac desktop. It's called coherence and comes as part of the package. It seems to work really well and gives you the task bar which works the same as in windows but I haven't used it a great deal at the moment. You can then have application icons on the desktop. Installation is easy. Not tried vmware so can't compare it.

I've been hesitating about moving Actinic over to the Mac but I'd love to make the leap. It's one of the few things left that's holding me back. Let us know ho you get on Les. I'm determined to test it out soon and it's also a good excuse to get back to XP from Vista.
                        http://www.strawberry-tiger.co.uk
                        Practical parenting products for babies and toddlers covering safety, development, sun protection, clothing, health, bedroom, nursery, travel, etc.

Comment

Well, I decided to take the plunge over the weekend and installed VMware on my Macbook (running Leopard) together with Windows XP. I have to say that I found VMware easier and simpler than parallels. It's the simple things like it reminds you what keys to press and the mouse works both in the windows window area and on the Mac screen area without needing to press any button to get it to escape from the windows window.

I've had so many problems with Vista, Actinic crashing in Vista every day, not being able to do any snapshots, etc. I've now got Actinic V9.02 running in XP and it's a dream. It's solved all the problems I had in Vista.

My Vista PC is a Full tower AMD 3000+ with 2gb Ram and the Macbook is 2ghz dual processor with 2gb ram little laptop. Despite running in a virtual machine I'm finding XP and Actinic are running faster on my little laptop than on Vista on my PC. The print dialog box for printing each order on the PC seems to hang around for ages but is done in less than a second on the Macbook - I'm so impressed!

I've used 2 lots of Spaces to seperate the Mac desktop from Actinic running full screeen so now all I have to do is flip screens to go from windows to Mac. Since you can share a common file areas between both systems it makes the integration between the two even easier than before.
                          Practical parenting products for babies and toddlers covering safety, development, sun protection, clothing, health, bedroom, nursery, travel, etc.

Comment

Just bought a MacBookPro, its a great machine, but after installing parallels its had problems with the time capsule which Ive now over come.
                            Only wanted 2 programs to run Actinic and EPC both not supported for apple, shame youd think with apple being more graphics orientated it would be a obvious choice for Actinic.
                            Since putting the EPC program in, parallels now wont operate, so not sure Im going to get on with Actinic on it yet.
                            Great machine but a nightmare change over for a non computer buff.
                            Gary

Comment

Not sure if it will solve your problems but try VMware, it seems so much easier to use and install than parallels. Far less technical and feels more reliable.

It's free for 30 days and it worked fine alongside parallels. I've not got it running in a seperate spaces window which is a great way to switch between MAC and Windows OS.

Comment

Working...
                              X