Getting started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting started

How do you get started do you go about contact wholesalers? do you just call them up and say hey I want to sell your stuff, or do you have to be more tactful than that?

How do you go about arranging discounts with them to then sell on as retail?

Sorry I’m a complete newbie to this, and my partner and I are looking into setting up a ecomerce business.

Can anyone give me some advice or recommend some good books or website to help me get started.

Thanks

depends on products you want to sell
    sometimes it is as easy as buying a products and seeing contact details on the back
    there is a magazine called the trader fortnightly
    there are also websites for dropshippers
    some products have dedicated magazines

computers lingerie just a couple of examples

or you could just pop round the wholesalers
    strangeways/anncoats in manchester area
    birmingham also has a lot

happy hunting
    Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
    Current project:
    cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
    cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
    Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

First must come the selection of what type of thing you want to sell

Second you do your research by doing a full business plan on who what where you will sell and how many people you think will buy from you

This will include where you buy your stock from, Most goods are brought from either wholesellers or distributers and they will have floating prices dependant on how much you spend, but dont expect much if you are just buying a few hundred pounds worth of gear, they are looking for customers who spend thousands per year or month

Another option is in some goods you can get them sent direct from your suppliers called drop shipping your customer deals and pays you, you notify the other company who send out the goods directly to your customer

Be reasonable with your expectations you will not say start in computers and be able to challenge DELL or MISCO but you could possible be great at selling portable memory sticks or graphic cards

Very hard to find some wholesellers or distributers, you can try asking the major companies in your chosen area who they are, but most dont advertise that much as they would upset their retailers if they started selling direct to the public. Best bet try trade shows and trade publications
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Or as some cheeky beggars do, send an email asking for contact details for our suppliers. We have spent the best part of a year tracking down suppliers so we so now protect contact details like gold dust

As Gareth said look around, buy some trade mags, buy a product that you would want to sell and then have a look at the packaging, instructions and gleam the info from there, it's all there, just need to do a bit of homework.
        www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

I'm curious to see where the current storyline in coronation st goes, it sems that Liam is going to set up ecommerce.... watch it

Comment

is he using actinic ???

Comment

is he using actinic ???
              Too funny
              Thanks

JoBananas Body Jewellery - Body piercing jewellery, belly bars and ear stretching plugs

Comment

I heard the other day that tesco are now using actinic on one of thier sites - not a joke either.

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                  I heard the other day that tesco are now using actinic on one of thier sites
                  That's true as far as I know.

Regards,
                  Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                  Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                  A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                  Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                  Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                  Multichannel order processing
                  Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                    I heard the other day that tesco are now using actinic on one of thier sites
                    Every little helps!
                    KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Go to trade shows and place orders in person.

We make sure that when we visit a trade show that we do not have Internet, Ecommerce etc on our badges as we have found it difficult to open new accounts. Instead we usually opt for independent retailer or something like that.

Go and make a big order with a supplier that you want and pay in advance if possible. If you do not quite meet their criteria when they get back to the office and research you they will have to send your cheque back. We have taken on accounts on this basis and as yet have not had an account closed.

We now find it a lot easier now we have some good brands on-board and can pick and choose who we wish to buy from.

Kind regards

Jason
                      Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                      Zirconium Rings
                      Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Originally posted by parklifeclothes View Post
                        Or as some cheeky beggars do, send an email asking for contact details for our suppliers.
                        We get this a lot. We also get jewellery shops who sell the same brands as us contact us to say as an item is out of stock with the supplier and we have stock can we forward one to them at cost price.

My favourite though is an online competitor who nicked our images and descriptions under cut us then contacted us to ask where we sourced some of our other products.

Kind regards

Jason
                        Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
                        Zirconium Rings
                        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Look in a magasine such as the 'trader' for wholesalers who are actually looking for new customers (why else would they spend money advertising themselves) as these should be easiest to get into.

As soons as you have a supplier get the ecommerce website up and running, and then look for some better wholesalers. It's a lot easier to approach them when you are already in business as an 'established' trader than just someone starting from scratch who may just waste their time.

Also, once you've been online for a while you may find that they start calling you. We got our 2 best distributors this way, and what's more because they come to you and they know you already have a supplier you are in a much better bargaining position on prices...
                          www.LabelKing.co.uk - New!
                          www.dymowholesale.co.uk - Newest!
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X