setting up apache intranet extranet on the same server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting up apache intranet extranet on the same server

I've been asked to re-configure an apache server inhouse to allow for more subdomains (that bit's easy, just set up a series of virtual hosts) and then allow external access to only some of the domains

I've got no choice, its got to be inhouse, I'm looking up databases, satnav systems etc, in realtime, and showing rusulting mixes of data, something I cant do with an externally hosted company (I know theres some risks, but . . .)
    typical names are
    satnav.mydomain.com and arrivals.mydomain.com and inhouse.mydomain.com

I need to be able to keep inhouse totally private - easy, I never publish that on the www dns servers and keep it on a 10.0.0.?? ip number

the other two need to be able to be accessed from the www and also from internal PC's.

I've created a dns lookup(s) for satnav and arrivals out on the web pointing to my own adsl connection - they work,
    I've opened up the port80, set my firewalls etc

within htaccess, I plan to use allow,deny to restrict certain address's and I've really tightened up on security within the php pages, blocking ip based access after just three wrong attempts. and followed that up by username, password prompts as well

so now can anyone help with the next bit please.
    Do I create virtualHost within apache and give it exactly the same names (satnav.mydomain.com and arrivals.mydomain.com) as I've entered in the DnsLookup or do I use htaccess to repoint the incoming names to my own inhouse names

I've spent a few hours now looking for the solution out on the web, can't quite find the solution.

If its an htaccess problem, any chance of the two lines I need to translate between outside-name and intern-name

kev
Working...
X