Franking Machine advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franking Machine advice please!

We currently post all our smaller packages through the local Post Office, but we got a cold call today offering us a cheap deal on a franking machine. We like to support our local PO as we live in a village where it's an important part of the community, but the call made me think more about the potential savings.
    Having never used a franking machine, can anyone here offer any advice about the pitfalls, costs, etc?
    Thanks!
    Ben
    http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Originally posted by Fairyglass View Post
    We currently post all our smaller packages through the local Post Office, but we got a cold call today offering us a cheap deal on a franking machine. We like to support our local PO as we live in a village where it's an important part of the community, but the call made me think more about the potential savings.
    Having never used a franking machine, can anyone here offer any advice about the pitfalls, costs, etc?
    Thanks!
    Franking:

-Generally cheaper - not by much, I think it's about 5p cheaper for a First Class standard envelope, upto around 70p cheaper for a <2kg package.

-Biggest gripe is the lack of accuracy that the 'scales' give - if your items aren't a perfectly boxed shape it's not the best piece of technology to give an accurate price reading.

-If the balance of the franking machine runs out - and your accountant is responsible for it - then you're screwed til he/she is back in the office to sort that out.

-Screw going to the post office every dark cold night in the winter, let the postie come to you

That's about it, really

Comment

Cheap deals are usually on the machine, you then often end up with premium rate numbers to top them up and expensive printing supplies (ink cartridges, labels, etc).

The other problem with Franking is you can't simply pop your stuff in the postbox.

Where and how can I post franked mail?
      At your local Post Office or sorting office, or in a Business postbox for franked mail, if you post in any other box your mail may be delayed.

You'll need to use special late-posting envelopes, available from your franking machine supplier. The exception to this is Low Volume franking machines where customers place their mail in outer envelopes (low volume posting envelopes) and place these in any postbox. Your manufacturer will be able to advise you if your machine qualifies for this type of posting access.
      Unless your doing huge volumes, consider Smartstamp which is much more flexible and doesn't involve salesmen on commission tying you into contracts you don't want.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Thanks Grant, Mike,

Lots to consider. There's a monthly contract of course, so I'm busy analysing our recent post bills to see whether the cost saving offsets this. I'll be delivering it to our local office (3 mins away on foot) so it's ok that I can't pop the post in a box somewhere.

Much of our small product is packed in jiffy bags, so the accuracy of the scales could be a worry. We get a month's free trial (no obligation!!) so it may be worth checking it out if the costs seem to work- with Christmas approaching and our volume increasing it's a good time to test as we can always fall back on the "old" system!
        Ben

Comment

We mainly use couriers, however we use SmartStamp for a lot of smaller items and are very happy with it. We used to have a franking machine from a major supplier for the smaller stuff but we constantly felt that we were being milked at every opportunity:
          • Monthly rental paid twice by mistake - gave up trying to get it back ("Sorry we can't find it on our records, Sir").
          • Expensive printing cartridges which have a built in expiry date which stops you printing after a while even if there is plenty of ink left ("This is to ensure that your printing quality is always tip-top, Sir").

etc etc

SmartStamp looks far more professional, and apparently if you take it to your local PO it does support their business - it is counted as volume of sales through their system even if you don't pay them directly.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

If it was Pitney Bowes then avoid them. They have absolutely no comprehension of what good customer service means.

Please study the cost and sizing of the consumables. These franking companies make a sizeable all of their profits from selling you consumables in sizes/volumes that are designed to maximise their income not make the printing economical for you.

The main advantage friends I know who use franking machines cite for sticking with them is convenience. Like you I too support my local Post Office because the Post Mistress can sort many things out that franking machines can't even though she is ten minutes away across town!

Comment

We weren't with PB so that would appear to be at least two major suppliers taking the same approach and worth avoiding IMO.

Comment

It was PB, and it doesn't work out for me based on our current monthly postage bill. Smart Stamp seems to be the better option, but I'll speak to our PO manager tomorrow to get his view. Currently we just leave all our posting with them daily, they stamp it and keep a tally which we pay weekly- it's very convenient. I'm weighing up this convenience against potential cost savings though.
                Ben

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
                  Cheap deals are usually on the machine, you then often end up with premium rate numbers to top them up and expensive printing supplies (ink cartridges, labels, etc).
                  We don't top up using a premium rate number - it's a national rate call which takes 2 minutes direct from the machine.

We worked out that we only needed to send 20 packages a day to cover the rental.

Obviously there are additional costs such as labels and cartridges but they're only a rip off if you buy them from the machine supplier. We buy ours on ebay and save around 75% this way. Don't buy compatibles though - they are more trouble than they are worth for a franking machine ime.

The other costs include having to pay for a new rate card every time royal mail raises prices - this costs about £50 + VAT. The fee for topping up is £5.89 inc Vat but this is the same however much you put on each time.

We don't use the machine for Recorded and Special Delivery items as we prefer to give that money directly to our local sub Post Office. We would save more if we used the machine though. In any case, we have to ship via our local PO as we get certs. of posting for every item.

All in all, if your shipping volumes are high enough, I would say go for it. We've had a f.m. for nearly 4 years now and find it quick, easy, and despite what others may say, 100% accurate. We've not had a single returned item or complaint re underpaid postage since we got it. Mind you, we do use a RM letter size guide to make sure we get it right.

Oh and one other thing - you get to put your own advert on each packet you post. See attached.
                  Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Ditto SmartStamp:

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by grantglendinnin View Post
                      -Screw going to the post office every dark cold night in the winter, let the postie come to you
                      Doesn't it cost around £2 a day to have your mail collected?
                      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

smartstamp is very good, but it costs about £50 a year for the privilege of using the software, then you have to buy labels and ink.
                        You have to pay in advance, an account is used to fund the stamps.
                        Plus side is you can print a stamp whenever you like and have a day or two to get it in the post.
                        You must post before the date on the stamp expires.
                        If your local office is stamping for you and giving you a bill at the end of the week or day then i doubt you will save anything.

of cause to get your post collected you have to pay a fee per year.
                        wes
                        Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

I think it's better for us not to rock the boat this side of Christmas. I'll do some more research and check prices- I hate cold callers anyway so that's put me off Pitney Bowes for a start. If in January our volumes hold up sufficiently we'll perhaps see who's got the best offer- I suspect it may be more of a buyer's market then anyway!

Thanks for all the responses- as ever this forum has been a huge help.
                          Ben

Comment

"smartstamp is very good, but it costs about £50 a year for the privilege of using the software, then you have to buy labels and ink"

But then again, this compares favourably with franking machine rental, and rate updates are free as opposed to £50 for a new franking machine rate card every time rates change. We print the smartstamps onto the same labels as the address, using the same printer, so no extra labels and the extra ink is negligible.

Comment

Pitney Bowes

MY FIRST PIECE OF ADVICE ON THIS FORUM - Yippeeee

We have a franking machine from Pitney, note:

1. You HAVE to pay an annual maintenance charge on machine (we pay £330) they basically have to check to see you not fiddling.
                              2. Theres no premium rate numbers to top up - u call an 0845 - give out your code and then they give u a code to type in machine which tops it up
                              3. you have to pay £150'ish for a DYE this is a stamper which has your ID code
                              4. If you frank on labels to stick on jiffy's - you pay £30 for a box - very expensive - 2p each! there is no other manufacture who does them (certainly for our machine)
                              5. you MAY have to pay a security deposit - we paid £500
                              6. You can't post these franked letters in normal post box - we used to take to Post Office - we now get them to collect from premises (£400 annum) this is bad sometimes cos they don't turn up and you are left with important letters which are now too late to take to post office so we (bristol) drive 7 miles to sorting office. However if its a Recorded delivery or Registered Post (eg u want it there tomorrow) then you've had it! On important docs we end up driving to Post Office which is an irony seeing as we have collection

7. INK rollers we pay £40 ish for the red ink (rip off) though it does last 6 months.

Obviously a lot of things I said appy to our machine - but hope this give you some idea of start up costs and running costs as they dont VOLUNTEER this info

My opinion - its not worth it unless you are posting hundreds of letter a week.

Hope this helps
                              8mm cine to dvd transfer

The only problem with an open mind is people keep trying to fill it!

Comment

Working...
                              X