Vat Changes To The Prices On Your Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
    PS. Who sits down and works these out? or am I missing some elemental bit of arithmetic?
    People that are paid to much and have too much time on there hands, thats what i keep telling my accountant but he takes no notice

Comment

PS. Who sits down and works these out? or am I missing some elemental bit of arithmetic?
      7/47 ~= 17.5/(100 + 17.5) which is the exact VAT calculation

Comment

7/47 ~= 17.5/(100 + 17.5) which is the exact VAT calculation
        Top marks to Alan.

The question wasn't why it works. It was how do you work out that 17.5/(100 + 17.5) is equivalent to 7/47? Is there some maths to derive that or do people just sit there trying 1/7, 2/13, etc.

Mike
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Is there some maths to derive that or do people just sit there trying 1/7, 2/13, etc.
          No people like Alan sit there trying lots of combinations

Comment

Originally posted by brian.mc View Post
            Or x3/23
            ahh..that takes me back!
            When I left school, I worked at an accountants.
            I was having to use x3/23 then because some of the books we were doing were from the previous 15% VAT rate.
            Not sure if it changed while I was there or had already changed previously but it brings back memories!

*feels old now*
            Tracey

Comment

Common mistake. The discount works out at only about 2.1%. So nearer Ł21 than Ł25.

Mike
              Well Newround on BBC yesterday stated that a Ł1000 holiday would now be Ł25 cheaper!
              Kathy Newman

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                Well i was wondering the same thing, im guessing it would be from 12midnight sunday

Think that the BBC website yesterday quoted something like "as soon as possible" will go and see if I can find reference otherwise we are all going to be up late on Sunday night!
                Kathy Newman

Comment

He definitely said from Monday (December 1st) so I guess that's why people are debating the whole 'midnight Sunday' thing
                  Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by kathynewman View Post
                    Well Newround on BBC yesterday stated that a Ł1000 holiday would now be Ł25 cheaper!
                    well that's true if the Ł1000 holiday is Ł1000 plus vat
                    Tracey

Comment

The government/ HMRC details on the VAT changes can be found on

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pbr2008/measure1.htm

There are a number of pdf files going into various depths. One of the key phrases is

"HMRC recognises that this is a change that businesses will have to implement in a short timescale. Therefore we will adopt a “light touch” in relation to errors or mistakes made in the first VAT return after the change. We will take into account the difficulties a business has faced in adjusting to the change."

Which is an acknowledgement that the chances of getting this right and sorted in a week so that accounts reconcile is pretty impossible!! Thanks for ruining my weekend Gordon and Al.

David
                      David Sewell
                      The Cotton Patch
                      http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk
                      http://www.rotarycuttershop.co.uk

Comment

=ROUND(SUM(A2/1.175)*1.15;2)
                        for those people using open office, or google docs, this is the formula.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
                          ahh..that takes me back!
                          When I left school, I worked at an accountants.
                          I was having to use x3/23 then because some of the books we were doing were from the previous 15% VAT rate.

*feels old now*
                          Crikey! That's so far back petrol was 2/6d a gallon
                          Kind Regards
                          Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                            am i correct in thinking we need to apply this at midnight sunday night/monday morning?
                            Because we don't process orders over the weekend ( I didn't say we don't work ) I think we'll set the vat change before we leave tomorrow, possibly with a mini note-ette to make our customers feel cosy and reassured
                            Kind Regards
                            Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
                              Crikey! That's so far back petrol was 2/6d a gallon
                              hey now..it wasn't THAT long ago!!
                              Tracey

Comment

special note:
                                for those people that nave their actinc prices in NET, and they let actinic calculate the vat for display online, you no doubt took vat off, to allow actinic to add it back on.

with a little collab, mr hack and I came up with:
                                =round((B5*1.175)/1.15;0)

which adds 17.5 vat on, then takes 15% off, making your old net, into a new 15% net.

this will effectively keep all the prices (pretty much after rounding) the same, as far as the vat paying customer is concerned. Your final price will be the same as it was, pre-vat change.

this formula might save someone a headache.

Comment

Working...
                                X