iPhones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhones

Been hearing so much about them recently that I am now thinking of getting one - so questions:

Pros & Cons of iPhone
    Best Deals around
    Advice
    Anything else I should know before getting one?
    Kathy Newman

i also have some questions, and its a pig to find out about these things online.

- can i use my own mp3s as a ringtone?
    - is the appstore actually good, or is it getting suck?
    - how crashy is the phone, can it take some stick when it comes to apps?
    - what about battery life? do i need to dock every night?
    - is there special software? do i just use iSync? (osx)
    - how tightly is the itunes integreation? do i need to use itunes, i bloody hate it.

Comment

You can use your own stuff as a ringtone (may need conversion to a supported format).

Appstore is excellent. Lots of good (and free) stuff among the 99p junk.

Safari is a bit crashy. Everything else seems solid.

You may need that nightly recharge if you use it (especially over wi-fi) a lot.

Itunes is the only supported xternal application.

The iPhone is completely owned by iTunes. You'll have to use it.

I'm still using a 2G one (jailbroken / unlocked as I switch countries a lot and can pop in a PAYG SIM) and am very happy with it. With jailbreaking I can even open a terminal window and tinker at command line level or SSH into it from my PC. If you were really brave / foolhardy, you could get Apache / Perl running on it and host an Actinic site there.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
        ...If you were really brave / foolhardy, you could get Apache / Perl running on it and host an Actinic site there.
        That's enough to convince Gabriel surely...

Comment

Gabe cannot reply right now as he's down at the O2 shop I think.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
            i also have some questions, and its a pig to find out about these things online.

- can i use my own mp3s as a ringtone?
            - is the appstore actually good, or is it getting suck?
            - how crashy is the phone, can it take some stick when it comes to apps?
            - what about battery life? do i need to dock every night?
            - is there special software? do i just use iSync? (osx)
            - how tightly is the itunes integreation? do i need to use itunes, i bloody hate it.
            I havn't been able to get my own ringtones to work with my 3G iphone so can't comment on that.
            The appstore is good (The mac user experience is better)
            The phone's OS is pretty robust
            Dock every night especially if you use the GPS. Battery life is better since the recent update.
            isync does it.
            If you use mac mail and ical, the integration experience is superb. itunes is tightly integrated too, i'm afraid. On the plus side, the BBC iplayer is brilliant and works particularly well on iphone.
            Richard Gosler
            Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
            Dorset, UK

Comment

I couldn't get any of my music to be ringtones but found a bit of free downloadable software which converts your mp3 songs to be iPhone ringtones at http://www.iringer.net/

I went for an iPhone and so far I LOVE it.
              Kathy Newman

Comment

There may be an iPhone Nano about to be launched...
                www.homeautomation-direct.com

Energy Monitors and X-10 automation hardware

Comment

Maybe next Xmas

Or perhaps sooner - as it appears the iphone nano cases are already available - oops!

Comment

That image of the "iPhone nano" shows it in a case style matching the iPhone shown to the left, which is a first generation iPhone, not the latest version. It is inconceivable that they would do this, so the image at least should be regarded with some caution........

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

This is the genuine nano

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ1bGYMudv0

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Moderators please look at "theAdviserMe". Signature links to a spam laden site.

Comment

I thought the same thing so I have moderated them for now and a Actinic moderator can make the decision on whether to ban them.

Regards,
                          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                          Multichannel order processing
                          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
                          X