BT Unlimited Broadband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT Unlimited Broadband

Thought I'd share my experience from yesterday.

At home, our broadband package is from BT, charged at £27 for broadband alone.

After several weeks of our speed varying during the day and night. The last couple of weeks have seen the speed drop to 300kbps at night, and up to 6mb in the early hours.

OK, so BT own the telephone lines. Regardless who we get out internet from, it'll never be faster than BT's - harsh reality, but true.

I put the point across:- Why pay BT £27 a month when I could go to a cheaper alternative broadband provider and pay £17 a month for 'unlimited' download broadband and still receive the same speed as BT, particularly if I go to a broadband provider that offers UK telephone support. And I mean UK, not foreigners with very poor English based in the UK (Though I'll admit I know plenty foreigners in the country that have better language skills than half the natives, but nevermind)

So the rage continues and after getting passed from department to department with my argument, I got a slight victory.

BT offer a solution: We'll offer your package at the same price as the competitor that you would like to move to.

Thanks BT - you just cut my bill from £27 to £17 just for explaining logic.

If anyone else is with BT at home or in the office - I suggest you do the same.

Cheers,
    Grant

Well done Grant, although you probably deserve a medal for perseverance.
    I've been hounding BT for 9 months to deliver on a wireless printer they offered me if I remained a broadband customer (moved calls and line charge away from them ages ago).
    Still waiting for printer - 15 calls later I've been fobbed of to Dabs amongst others to chase my printer myself!!! Normally I wouldn't bother but I really fancied a wireless printer and, Dammit, I want it now!!!
    Making me angry just recounting that story......... off to write another letter......
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

have had no end of trouble with BT in the past. i now use ZEN and have no complaints. a bit pricey but i'm not concerned about that.

the very worst one is orange, was getting a speed (when adsl worked) of around 1mb. slower than dial-up!!! was it their fault?? not according to them. support was no help and eventually i just ended my contract and moved. the new service...6mb immediately.

no way that was a prob with my line. cancelled everything to do with orange, phones, the lot. will never use them again. our staff get 02 mobiles now.
      Water is both ordered and flexible at the same time. It maintains its own identity, but conforms as necessary to the circumstances around it.

-Miyamoto Musashi - The Book of Five Rings

Jake
      Buy Fire Extinguishers
      Fire Extinguishers

Comment

I have Virgin 20Mb but never get that these days. It was possible a couple of years ago but not any more. Best I get now is about 4Mb and sometimes as low as 0.8Mb. Upload has always been steady though at about 370Kb which is the only reason I stay.

I complained to Virgin who cut my broadband cost in half.

I think iPlayer and other video services have crippled the infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
          I think iPlayer and other video services have crippled the infrastructure.
          That was the initial argument. Nobody's at home in the early hours of the morning watching iPlayer, BT Vision, etc which are all broadband dependent - the 'net only slows right down at night, when everyone's at home using these services. So why did they release BT Vision when they knew they didn't have the technology to take advantage of it? The other half uses all these 'catch up' things online, iPlayer and the new ITV one mostly - and the time it takes to download the episodes isn't worth the bother. I'd rather watch it on tv with all the adverts every 10 minutes, even then that's saying something!

Fergus - phone their Billing enquiries, tell them if you don't receive confirmation that the printer that you were promised has been dispatched within a few days, you'll be leaving immediately. Phone them back in a couple of days, tell them you ain't seen no printer and you want a MAC code. That printer will be with the courier for before-9 delivery

Comment

the biggest rpoblem with all broadband is the contention ratio - the lines can handle what they tell you, just the probabilities of reaching it are well........

Anyway some saving grace might be on the hoizon http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7151132.stm will it every happen, possibly in a few years after umpteen reports

Comment

On my Virgin 20mb I can regularly download 750kb/sec, i have never seen it go over 1.1mb/sec. On upload I get 500-750/sec. Their blasted 50mb service is not available in my area yet though - doh!

Comment

hmmm so your virgin 20mb aint any better than my bt 8mb (upload obviously is mines around 450)

Comment

Yeah, we're also on BT for £26.99 plus vat a month. They call up regularly wanting me to agree to 10% off for a 24 month contract.

We also get a squillion random telecom providers phoning up offering better deals for the same (alleged) service.

I'm off to phone BT.
                  Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

The most irritating thing is you can get 2mb internet for around £12 a month, yet BT will charge you £27, or Virgin £30 for 20mb - despite the fact you'll only ever get 2mb.

Wonder what happens if you pay for 2mb and you somehow get 6mb...Wait, who am I kidding?

Comment

I must admit it always confuses me, when they say 20mb, what does that actually mean? 20mb per second, per minute, per hour? They always have the 'up to' disclaimer lol.

Comment

i've always stuck with a virgin 2mb package, (£26 for bb, phone and tv - discount for a loyal cutomer)

TBH i couldn't care less about upload/download speed. when its all to slow i go an make tea and get a life

that said most of the time i use a datacard on gprs (one bar signal) so 2mb bb is lightening

Comment

getting passed from team to team.

Now in a queue. Chances of being passed on again? Evens?
                          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                            I must admit it always confuses me, when they say 20mb, what does that actually mean? 20mb per second, per minute, per hour? They always have the 'up to' disclaimer lol.
                            Mr hack did you not read my link from the bbc above

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
                              Now in a queue. Chances of being passed on again? Evens?
                              Don't e-mail for help and don't let them phone you back, demand that you stay on the line until it's sorted; because they won't get back to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X