Customers Dictating Terms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Customers Dictating Terms

OK i occassionaly get emails requesting quotes for bulk buys with very little information except the question about discounts.

But today i get one from the states and maybe its me but what really bugs me is the way people ask you for the best price and then dictate the terms of the order.

Now i have no doubt the request is genuine, but they want to collect at there exspense or have it delivered, delivered to various places in the states and can we ship to australia, but the quote has to be valid for x period and the charges can not change.

Now the item they are ordering is reasonably heavy and a difference between 50 & 100 of these would seriously change the cost of shipment, so would different places in the states and australia.

how do you quote something like this, i have requested a explaination of what they mean by volume ordering and if they can let us know the quantites then we can perhaps calculate a price without shipping

I wouldn't bother.
    I used to prepare highly detailed quotes in the hopes of making a big lift but the sad reality is that all these people do is find the cheapest quote they can and then mail all the competition hoping one will beat it.

A complete wast of time. One of my suppliers has become very good at dealing with serial quoters as they simply ask for a credit card payment upfront as they are a new customer with no track record and they then go away.

Comment

We charge in bands:

1-50
      51-100
      101-250

etc

we then advise shipping is pro-rate at cost and supply a couple of examples

100 = £20.00
      250 = £25.00

We always say quotations are valid and subject to changes in VAT and exchange rates (especially if they are buying abroad)

We find these sort of quotes are speculative and you quote the 1000+ rate and they come back for 12.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by bamboo View Post
        I wouldn't bother.
        I used to prepare highly detailed quotes in the hopes of making a big lift
        If you are not sure how solid the inquiry is provide enough basic info to whet their appetite if they want to come back for more... that way you don't waste time but at least you have made the offer.

If you have the data in spreadsheets you can simply set up price bands and then copy and paste as necessary.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
          OK i occassionaly get emails requesting quotes for bulk buys with very little information except the question about discounts.

But today i get one from the states and maybe its me but what really bugs me is the way people ask you for the best price and then dictate the terms of the order.

Now i have no doubt the request is genuine, but they want to collect at there exspense or have it delivered, delivered to various places in the states and can we ship to australia, but the quote has to be valid for x period and the charges can not change.

Now the item they are ordering is reasonably heavy and a difference between 50 & 100 of these would seriously change the cost of shipment, so would different places in the states and australia.

how do you quote something like this, i have requested a explaination of what they mean by volume ordering and if they can let us know the quantites then we can perhaps calculate a price without shipping
          I usually inform them that bulk orders are just that - bulk orders. They must all be shipped to one location to get the 50pc (or 100pc) price. Anything else is a separate order. We'll gladly drop ship for them, but not at the bulk price.
          Kirk Pruitt
          Zims Autotechnik
          Bedford, Texas

Comment

Hmmm not exactly a huge order, their going to get a shock as delivery is around £350 to australia, i have had to split it because of weight restrictions.

Sent the price broken down into unit costs, and delivery e.t.c

see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
              If you are not sure how solid the inquiry is provide enough basic info to whet their appetite if they want to come back for more... that way you don't waste time but at least you have made the offer.

If you have the data in spreadsheets you can simply set up price bands and then copy and paste as necessary.

Thats what i have done now, its up to them to take it or leave it

Comment

Oooh had a reply, im guessing its what i expected. They now want 7 times as many items and want to send their own carrier to collect them.

I have declined, i did say that they are welcome to use there own carrier but payment must be up front and cleared before goods are released.

Somehow i dont think i will be hearing from them again.

Comment

7, very interesting number.

Did you know, that since its a very rare name, if 7 Gabriels were to be in the same place, the universe would fold in on itself in a great apocalypse?

I have been in the presence of 2 others, and that was a spooky moment. I could swear that i could feel the fabric of the universe resonate.

Comment

Gabe your completely bonkers

Comment

ummmm, i think he's started on the magic stuff to early in the morning! lol
                      "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
                        I could swear that i could feel the fabric of the universe resonate.
                        That was my underpants after the curry. Sorry

Bikster

Comment

Is their not lots of them in a small book called a bible and they get together in a book about 6 inches x 4 inch x 1 inch
                          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
                            Is their not lots of them in a small book called a bible and they get together in a book about 6 inches x 4 inch x 1 inch
                            Yeah but that's just a book of fiction...

Army Gore-tex
                            Winter Climbing Mitts
                            webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
                            Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
                              7, very interesting number.
                              Underestimate the POWER OF 7 at your peril!
                              Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                              Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                              SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

Working...
                              X