Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ive grown a beard waiting for V8 to upload..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive grown a beard waiting for V8 to upload..

...shaved it off, regrown it.... TWICE in the time its taken for the shop to upload after a small change.

V8, I do love thee. NOT.

V6 had its shortcomings, granted, but speed was not one. My shop could download orders, process them and upload the new stock levels in 2 mins max. (using Mole End automation software).

Not any more. V8, you sluggard.

Ive got it on an athlon 3000+ under XP and on a Mac pro dual quad core 3.2ghz under VirtualBox (which runs damn fine I might add) and its just crawling along.

I'm going to hack all un-needed block-ifs next week, see if that helps.
    Gonna try to change the nav generation too, and also put any site-wide details as SSI's so if I need to update them, I dont need to update the catalog, just the text or image files holdinghte data. I do this for delivery info or holiday info etc. already, but I'm sure there is more I can cut out.

Anyone got any idea if V9 is any quicker.?
    Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
    www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

My Mistake!

No, it seems I have got it wrong. Its taken this long to get to the bit where the files get uploaded, let alone actually doing the upload!!!!!!!!. So long in fact that the ftp session seems to have times out and Ive got to click retry four times....

Its gettting late, I appologise.

Good Night All!
    Andy Warner

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

Are you refreshing marketing lists on the pages?
      How many section pages etc do yo have to upload?
      Are you doing a site refresh or just a stock update or similar?
      What is your ISP upload speed?

The answers will help put things into perspective. V9 can certainly be quicker uploading if your server supports the compression feature. You can also upload a single page if the change is minor. You can include your marketing lists as included files to save uploading all pages when they are regenerated (v8 and 9)

Comment

the beard count is three now

Hi

Fair questions:
        • I am doing marketing stuff now, but even before I did, it was slow.
        • lots of sections, admitedly.
        • its an update, not a refresh
        • broadband isnt an issue, the upload is fine...
        • its the generation time that kills.
        • 5000 products by the way - but a lot out of stock, i'm culling discontinued stuff daily. (we'll get there in the end)

so.... on a like-for like basis, is V9 any more responsive than V8 is the question! any one know?

Also, for the record... It takes an age to actually do anything in actinic, god help me if i'm trying to move lots of sections or products around (which I am.... oh well) - crash and burn, loose duplicates.. i'm sure I can cope. tomorrow!
        Andy Warner

Comment

A more important question is how you moved from v6 to v8 as the general advice is to redesign rather than upgrade as upgrading brings lots of potential problems with it. There is loads about this already if you do some searching as are the recent discussions about v9 speed issues

Comment

...from a shared database...

Is this perhaps slowing the page generation down?

V9 has multi threading so that whilst the page generation is taking place other checks are taking place so it can be a lot quicker for large sites. Download the trial and have a play with it.

Comment

The funky upselling facilities in v8 do take its toll on performance compared to v7 and earlier .... the offset of growing 3 beards is that you can afford to retain your own barber with all the additional sales

Note that not all servers accept the enhanced FTP functions in v9... definitely worthy trialling as Duncan suggests.

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                .... the offset of growing 3 beards is that you can afford to retain your own barber with all the additional sales

Fantastic line
                Attached Files
                www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

Working...
                X