Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic Updates / Development Blog...

Hello everyone,

Looking for some input, and I know you guys have a lot to give.

For a while now we have been trying to improve the company / customer communication, especially with regards what it is we are cooking up at the Towers.

One idea I have been considering a blog, or maybe a sticky post on here, undecided just yet. However its only worth it if you guys get something out of it. So do you think this is a good idea and if so what TWO things would you want to see covered?

If I get enough positive responses I'll make it happen, and if there is some common ground (usual disclaimer) on the topic requests then so much the better.

Ben
    Benjamin Dyer
    CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

A blog certainly sounds much better than a sticky IMO. The blog would allow comments so that actinic users could post on the relevant blog posts, forum threads always seem to drift off course. This would allow Actinic to see what we think about the topic.

I expect that the topics covered would be future developments - what's being done and what's not, possible future ideas (looking for our feedback), current bug fixes being remedied, etc.

Comment

Or a twitter feed if you want to be really up to date...
      www.homeautomation-direct.com

Energy Monitors and X-10 automation hardware

Comment

Don't get ben started on twitter as he spends half his life on there as it is! I think it should be posted on the forum to keep it al in one place. The thread/forum should be locked or heavily moderated to keep it on track. Having it elsewhere is just a pain in the arse IMO as I have enough other places to watch as it is without any more thank you.

If people subscribe they will get updates via email so it's better than twitter IMO plus you can only put so much in a twitter post so it would need to be linked somewhere for more info. Also if it's on the forum it's easier for people to link other threads etc. Let's keep all the actinic stuff in one place.

Comment

I think a blog is the way to go. All major software houses that I use have devlopment/business focus blogs. Personally, I think the forum should be kept for support issues.

Adobe do great blogs for their products.

EDIT: Probably better to keep it mor up to date than this one:

http://www.actinic.co.uk/blog/ecommerce-marketing-seo/
          KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

I dont see how a blog is any different to a forum thread (or subsection) if members are allowed to post on it?

Maybe a new subsection of the forum, with a thread where each topic covered can be discussed in an organised way.

If you announce say, that four different things are to be added on to the software, then have a thread for each one, as opposed to one (thread or blog) with everything getting mixed in together.

I'm finding this forum less `readable` now, in so much that there appears to be less `general` threads these days? More that its problems and bug issues so some new reading matter wouldnt go amiss. Unless the `news` would be just about problems and bug issues of course!
            Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by CymraegKev View Post
              I think a blog is the way to go.
              Actually Kev, I think I needed educated more in the use of blogs, but then, if peeps arent into them, like me at the moment, then how will they find out new Actincy stuff?

Announce on blog, then discuss on pre-made threads on the forum perhaps? (non bloggy types would then pick up on the info too?)

Just a thought.
              Football Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin Dyer View Post
                So do you think this is a good idea and if so what TWO things would you want to see covered?

Can you give a few examples of what you might cover? Daily/weekly AUG and knowledgebase additions might hit some nails for some along with known bug workarounds as they are discovered. That sort of thing?
                Football Heaven

Comment

I agree with Mal on this and would prefer information as posts in a locked thread here on the forum. Any discussions around any posting can be in separate posts so as not to mess it up. Anyone can subscribe and receive email notifications. I also don't want to have to look elsewhere for news and information.

BTW what happened to the monthly Actinic newsletter?

Comment

I like the idea of a blog. Anything serious posted on here is soon made useless by the members that love to spit the dummy at every possible opportunity and a lot of Actinic customers avoid this forum because of that. A focussed blog with strict moderation would attract more followers and be easily to publicise.

Regards,
                    Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                    Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                    A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                    Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                    Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                    Multichannel order processing
                    Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Personally I don't follow any blogs and cannot see how one would be better than using the forum which already has 10,000 members.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin Dyer View Post
                        One idea I have been considering a blog, or maybe a sticky post on here, undecided just yet. However its only worth it if you guys get something out of it. So do you think this is a good idea and if so what TWO things would you want to see covered?
                        Ben
                        I think a blog would be better than using the forum, but keep it on track and moderated.

for me
                        1/ Timeline for future developments
                        2/ Timeline for dealing with known problems i.e. which are getting fixed and when.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                        Custom Packages

Comment

Actually, it might be worth having a look at what members want to see.

We have a number of designer types on here who push the software as far as it goes and are more interested in possibly the more hardcore (please, keep on topic) stuff (the design snapshot issues for example), and you have the store owners (people who just want rid of the server sync method on m-u, or in my case reliable stock levels). There are a number of people who fit in both categories of course, but are we looking at `service updates`, the continual fight against current bugs, or are we looking at hints at what is to come, re additions to the software? Two very different planets I think.
                          Football Heaven

Comment

Keep it on the forum, just be sure to keep it well moderated.

Anything serious posted on here is soon made useless by the members that love to spit the dummy

A fair while ago couldn't see why there was so much of this going on but having watched with interest just lately you can see why the main members offering their help for free are getting tired of the many simple/stupid posts form what are mainly so called web designers asking absolutely simple questions.
                            I feel that many posts become 'aggressive' for this reason and more needs to be done to push new members towards searching or using the knowledge base.
                            www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

I would prefer to keep a new updates stream on here. I don't have time to go looking elsewhere. Tightly moderated or closed, I don't mind which, just so long as it's here.
                              Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Working...
                              X