Stripping characters/whitespace using PHP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping characters/whitespace using PHP

I'm attempting a bit of php and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction.

Code:
    $return = trim(ereg_replace(' +',' ',preg_replace('/[^a-zA-Z0-9.\s]/','',strtolower($input))));

This transforms to lowercase, removes punctuation with the exception of '.' and removes multiple/leading/ending spaces.

I was wondering if it is possible to leave '-' IF it is in a number e.g. 1800-2?

Any help greatfully received.

What does the input look like?

Comment

Your input is not really a number so you would need to check the preceding character before a - to check if it was a number.

You can of course also simply exclude - from the function which may help...

Code:
      $return = trim(ereg_replace(' +',' ',preg_replace('/[^a-zA-Z0-9.\s-\s]/','',strtolower($input))));

Comment

One way would be to protect the number-range occurences before applying the main strip, then reversing the procedure:
        I've replaced the '-' with a 'z' to do this

PHP Code:
        $input ereg_replace('/([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)/''/$1z$2/'$input);
        $input trim(ereg_replace(' +'' 'preg_replace('/[^a-zA-Z0-9.\s]/'''strtolower($input))));
        $return ereg_replace('/([0-9]+)z([0-9]+)/''/$1-$2/'$input); 

Comment

I'm no php guru but I couldn't get Alan's code to give the right result but this did (perhaps they should both work):

PHP Code:
          $input ereg_replace('([0-9]+)-([0-9]+)''\\1zzzz\\2'$input);
          $input trim(ereg_replace(' +'' 'preg_replace('/[^a-zA-Z0-9.\s]/'''strtolower($input))));
          $return ereg_replace('([0-9]+)zzzz([0-9]+)''\\1-\\2'$input); 
          I changed the z to zzzz just in case you have a z in the input string - chances are you'll never have zzzz though.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
            I'm no php guru but I couldn't get Alan's code to give the right result
            Ooops, I tested using the .NET regex class rather than PHP. I glibly assumed the two implementations of regular expression should be the same.

Comment

Here's a very lightweight standalone PHP test environment that I find very useful:
              http://www.zachsaw.co.cc/?pg=quickph...ester_debugger

Comment

* high-fives Duncan *

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                  Here's a very lightweight standalone PHP test environment that I find very useful:
                  http://www.zachsaw.co.cc/?pg=quickph...ester_debugger
                  for me that has to be one of the best links this year, thanks Duncan

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                  SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                  Custom Packages

Comment

Thank you to you both. Just the job!

Comment

Working...
                    X