X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem re-installing Windows XP

Good morning all you wise and wonderfull people

Started to re-install XP on a old computer for a clean start

The XP setup started but then stopped when it tried to load into xp into a small D:/ section instead of C:/

Now stuch with helf a automatic setup on bootup and no way out

Can get to c:\windows but it will show help functions but will not change directory or anything else

I would like to delete D:/ and reformat C;? for a clean install

Any idea's welcome befor it goes into the bin
    Chris Ashdown

cant you just boot off the xp disk and follow instructions... part of install process is the Q to say reformat C and/or partition to D. (thus get rid of D and install to C)

Comment

Sorry cannot do, It justs opens up the setup straight away and goes to the area where you select the additional items to install like email, and other additions etc and says the folder D is to small but no lear way to stop or get back to start
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Chris

your bios settings may be set to look for a cd to boot from first (hence that it always starts from cd)

you need to enter the bios, find the boot sequence, change it so floppy (provided that you have a floppy drive) and start from there. then i think on the CD there should be the fdisk command which will begin the partitioning dos program. this will allow you to delete D and allocate whichever way you want the partitions.

after that remember to format the new partitions before you start the setup from the cd again

P.S. this is mho only

Comment

Xp does not need fdisk

when you boot up off the cd

it shows you the current installed partitions

c: windows blah blah size

and gives the option to delete partitions just select D:

then asks you to press L to confirm if you do this and delete c: and D:

you can then resize as needed and xp will install from there

have fun
          Remembering the road to Actinic enlightenment is a long and sometimes painful one.
          Current project:
          cheapadulttoys4u.co.uk
          cheaplingerie4u.co.uk
          Something for the Missus,Something for the Weekend

Comment

Thanks folks, But

It appears locked into XP setup whatever I do or else just locks into c:\windows and will not accept any instructions from their although does open help

I really need someway of restarting xpsetup and working from their, but seems in a loop whatever I do
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Have a check in the bios - sometimes during a windows installation the PC is set into a setup or install mode. This can be reset in the bios - often well tucked away mind.

Comment

Thanks folks

Dont know what I did, but managed to get original installation running and then a fresh install

BiBi
                Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                X