Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phone Directory

Got this from a friend:

Maybe you have heard about this but early next week all UK mobiles will be on a directory which will mean that anyone will be able to access the numbers. It is easy to unsubscribe but it must be done before the beginning of next week to make sure that you are ex directory. We have all unsubscribed and you may want to suggest it to all your friends and family who have UK mobiles or they could be swamped by unsolicited messages and calls. Removal is recommended by the BBC - see link below.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/8091621.stm

The Directory of Mobile Phone numbers goes live next week.

To remove your number go here. (you need your mobile phone with you to do this, they text you a code)

http://www.118800.co.uk/removeme/remove-me.html

This looks like a scam and they are using the website to collect information.

Amazed they can get away with this by assuming an opt in. £1 a shot for the number and a convoluted method of getting put through without passing on your number - I can see they will be giving massive discounts to cold calling companies.

Comment

The most irritating thing I've found with all these 118 numbers is you ask for a phone number - the person on the other side of the phone tells you the number so quickly in a non-native English tone and before you know it, you never managed to write down half the number, the operator has switched you through to the number you were after...then the person you were trying to phone doesn't pick up, so you have to call the 118 guy again

Oh well, more "are you interested in buying/selling X?" type phone calls to piss off

Comment

I phoned one of 118 numbers a few weeks back and they were unable to locate the number of the business I was trying to find.

Whilst on the phone being asked a dozen or so questions I decided enter the business name on Google and found it.

I did ask the operator if they would also like the number for their records.
        Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
        Zirconium Rings
        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

Still charged you though presumably.

Comment

They're charging so much for the service that you're not really going to get swamped. They also aren't giving out the phone numbers without asking you first.

If someone wants to find your number via their website it costs them £1 to have a text sent to your phone asking if you want to let them have your number.

If someone calls their service they'll have to pay 69p to be put through and then 14p per minute. They won't be given your number.

It all sounds a bit daft though. If you don't have someone's mobile number, you should at least know someone who does. I don't see this service being a success.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

This "service" 118800 will not survive the year, I reckon. As soon as the site went live, I registered my mobile as ex-directory - about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday, my OH came across the site, searched for me and my details were still there. So I then moaned about http://www.118800.co.uk on Twitter and surprise surprise, within the hour, I got a text saying my phone was now XD.
              Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Best thing to do is search their website to see if they have your details before going ex-directory.

They don't have mine (i'm not all that surprised) and they don't appear to have Alan's or Duncan's or Grant's.

Mind you, they do appear to have Lee's.

Mike

Comment

well, I would search it..but now it appears to be 'unavailable'
                  Interesting!
                  Tracey

Comment

It looks to me like they have your's Tracey.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
                      It looks to me like they have your's Tracey.

Mike
                      Curiosity is killing me. Would love to know which one they have (I have several!) but I'm not paying a quid to find out.
                      I'll just say no to anyone who asks anyway lol

Not much use then, is it?
                      Tracey

Comment

I don't see it lasting long either (I hope), also if they have to get permission from you to pass on your number....that's not only cold callers, but calls to get permission to cold call your phone... anyway I opted out PDQ.
                        I understood my number was private, NOT public when I signed my contract, and I don't want my number to be available to anyone unless I give it to them personally.

Tracey-If it's "unavailable" maybe all the people opting out have crashed the site.
                        Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                        www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

ooooh, yes - they've got yours Tracey!!

Comment

I didn't realise you got an image as well as the number. How do they do that?

Mike

Comment

Lol.........

Comment

Working...
                              X