Vista versus XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista versus XP

Are there still stability issues with Actinic and Vista?

I only ask, as I get various .dmp errors on the Vista machine but none on any of the XP machines.

Also, it's a pain in the backside if I have to import a snapshot taken on a Vista machine, into an XP installation.

Your opinion would be much appreciated.

Personally i have never gone down the vista route - there are people here who have and i suspect all is fine as the community is not littered with vista issues as such.

i am looking forward to windows 7 as it has good reviews, i plan to go xp to 7 sometime in the next 6-9 months. I'll let 7 settle for a while first.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
      ...i am looking forward to windows 7 as it has good reviews, i plan to go xp to 7 sometime in the next 6-9 months. I'll let 7 settle for a while first.
      But will v7 work on windows 7?

Comment

I get the impression that Vista machines still experience other problems that XP users do not, but they are mild and not show stoppers nowadays. We've seen a few times where an exact site on a Vista machine does not behave as well as the XP, that has to point to something, albeit small and probably not a factor nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
          But will v7 work on windows 7?
          hopefully yes, 7 is supposed to be vista without the bloat and the problems

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.

To extend the question;

Say I decide I want to change one desktop (cost £350) and one laptop (cost £500) to XP from Vista - would you buy new or purchase a copy of an XP operating system and downgrade (if this were possible)?

Comment

Depends on the age of the machines IMO, i'd hold out for new machines on Windows 7 around 6 months into the release if possible. You don't really want to be spending money at this time if you can avoid as you are right in the middle where you gain the least and lose the most.

Comment

Say I decide I want to change one desktop (cost £350) and one laptop (cost £500) to XP from Vista - would you buy new or purchase a copy of an XP operating system and downgrade (if this were possible)?
                Wait for windows7

Comment

Definitely, wait for 7. Vista is not as bad as it's made out to be. I much prefer it over XP. Having said that, all the bad bits have been cured for 7. We're running the release candidate on a few machines with not a single issue so far.
                  Blank DVD
                  Cloth Nappies

Comment

The main problem I have with Vista is the computer keeps falling off the network - fantastic when you're trying to use Mole End

Comment

Working...
                    X