Large number of forum sign-ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large number of forum sign-ups

I have just had a look at the forum member list after noticing a spam message on the joke forum quickly disappear and that the spammer banned and have noticed that there seems to be a very large increase in the number of new members in the last week.

Look back over the history the normal number of new members per day seems to vary typically from 2 to 7, but since the 5th November it has risen to between 42 and 96 per day (483 in the last 7 days), I think the new moderators might be kept on their toes.
    Darren Guppy
    Golf Tee Warehouse
    Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

It's pretty horrific at the moment, i must have deleted 30+ people in the last 48 hours.

Comment

You've got too much time on your hands

Army Gore-tex
      Winter Climbing Mitts
      webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
      Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
        I'm not the one who took just 2 minutes to reply, although with the number of accounts you need to delete you''ll have a lot less time on your hands if it gets any worse.

Perhaps it's just a test from Actinic Towers:
        Announcement of new moderators 04-Nov-2009, 10:20 PM
        Increase in forum signups: 05-Nov-2009
        Darren Guppy
        Golf Tee Warehouse
        Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
          Not really, i have no blog, no ebay, very little twitter etc. tot up all the time you spend on that lot and i bet it's less than me on here.

Comment

PMSL Lee I meant Darren...

Army Gore-tex
            Winter Climbing Mitts
            Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

Well be bloody clear will you man, i'd hate to add soemthing to your posts as though you'd said it.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                Well be bloody clear will you man, i'd hate to add soemthing to your posts as though you'd said it.
                LOL It's not my fault you posted just before mine... You leave my posts alone Mr Hackett

Army Gore-tex
                Winter Climbing Mitts
                Twitter LinkedIN

Comment

Afternoon guys, yes I've been watching the growing number of registrations and hopefully will be implementing a few changes that will help. If you recall some time ago we banned a huge range of IP addresses based on their geographic region, looking at the recent registrations we may be able to extend that to help.
                  Steve Wardell
                  Operations Director

Comment

whilst you are at it Steve, how about implementing something that was discussed before ie requiring a post to be moderated if it is the first post from a new signee and contains a link.

Comment

turn on the moderate new user sign ups makes it alot easier

Comment

It's already on.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                          It's already on.
                          how come 2 of the spams i reported thisweek were just that... ie the first post and contained a spam link?

Comment

Because it can be circumvented by people who know what they are doing, i believe it runs on time. At the moment Jo, it's horrific it really is, the fact that you are only seeing a couple is testament to how hard people are working to keep things clean. If you look at the member list and sort on join date, you will see the scale of the problem the last week or so.

Comment

I am sure the new mods are doing all they can

it just seemed strange that these types of posts were still getting through, they must be craftier than i thought or the add on is not up to much.

Still i agree i've only seen a handful of spam posts and agree the community is working well.

Comment

Working...
                              X