POP3 emails show on iPhone Exchange account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POP3 emails show on iPhone Exchange account

This is an unusual set of circumstances which no-one might be able to answer, but it's got me intrigued.

My main email address is on a hosted Exchange package, and both my iPhone and Outlook are configured for this email address. I have recently set up another email address (POP3) on another domain, and the two email addresses are not linked in any way (no forwarding, redirecting, copying etc).

The POP3 address has been added to Outlook, but I haven't set up the iPhone to pick up the POP3 emails as I want to deal with all of them using Outlook, and in theory if I set up the iPhone to pick up POP3 emails, they won't appear in Outlook once they have been downloaded onto the iPhone.

BUT, the POP3 emails are appearing in Outlook AND on the iPhone, but only when Outlook is running on my PC.

This is in fact great, because on the iPhone I can see when I've received a POP3 email, but I have no idea why this is happening.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

I'm guessing this is because your POP3 email is being retreieved by your Outlook client. At that point, the mail is in effect being "put in" your Exchange Inbox. When your exchange Inbox syncs with the iPhone it takes any emails in your Outlook inbox - regardless of where they were delivered from.

I have exactly the same setup - and it's on purpose. I leave Outlook running on my PC and have several POP3 email address pushed through to the Inbox. When my iPhone syncs, it brings those messages with it.

Kevin
    KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Thanks Kevin

That makes sense. Unexpected bonus....

(now what exactly are Apple going to announce at 6pm? )

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

You can set up your POP mail account on iPhone to always leave a copy on the server.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H View Post

(now what exactly are Apple going to announce at 6pm? )
          Hopefully not a new iPhone as I only got my 3GS a couple of weeks ago.

While we are on the topic - my favourite app is SCCOPE. £0.59p it cost. It basically scans barcodes and looks up the prices of other vendors in the UK. I was buying a new lens the other day, scanned the barcode in the shop and found the same lens over £100 cheaper. Definately worth a look. Works with Books, CDs, DVDs etc - and no, its nothing to do with me, just love it as an app (that an live Sky Sports sent to my phone).
          KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Working...
          X