Portable Air Conditioning Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portable Air Conditioning Unit

Anyone bought one of these recently and can recommend one? I realise it will be freezing and peeing down by the time i get it delivered, but enough is enough, i want one.

We got one 8 years ago or so to help keep our son's bedroom cool. My observations are:

1. Very efficient and does generate lots of cold air.

2. You need to vent the AC externally through a window and the foam blocks provided to help seal around the vent didn't work well with the hinged windows we had at the time. They would work much better with sash windows.

3. They're fairly noisy so we had to turn it off when he was going to sleep. The trouble we found was that the room quickly seemed to be get hotter than it was before. Probably a combination of the heat from the unit seeping out into the room once the fan stopped running and maybe the humidity getting higher too. This seemed to happen no matter how long we ran it for to let the room cool down before switching off.

So:

They do work and provide lots of cold air. Expect to have it on all the time that you're using the room.

Mike

PS. This was a cheapo B&Q jobie under £200. No idea if this is typical.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Heat in Travis's room is my main area to address too, the sun beats down on his room all afternoon and through the evening, he couldn't be in a worse room tbh heat and sun wise. Rather than locating it in a specific room i had hoped to buy a reasonably powerful one and site it on the landing for example so it services a couple of rooms, albeit not quite as well i understand. I'm after a general cool to the upstairs more than anything rather than an icebox. Our upstairs is like a bloody sauna since we had the whole house insulated, might save money on heating, they forget to tell you about the need to buy AC in the summer lol.

Thanks for the tips, very useful, i had £100-300 in my mind, reckon that's sensible or has the heat got to me also?

Comment

If you have a costco near you, they usually have a couple of models in at this time of year. We use them here to keep the offices cool, they are ok, they work best in small places.

Regards,
        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
        Multichannel order processing
        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

We also use a portable unit that we got from B&Q for a bit under £300. Works well for a smallish space but needs a vent to expel the hot air.

Comment

I have a tower fan onto which I hang a bag of ice cubes.

Tonight I'm going to try the Indian solution of dampening towels and hanging them over the windows (ht Mrs P in the Post Office).
            Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

We had a portable unit about 10 years ago with no instructions onboard a survey boat. we just set it up in the room , turned it on and felt the lovely cold air, shut the door and left it for our 12 hour shift, come midnight we went to the room to have a nice cool sleep and went into a boiler room. I now understand why they supplied a large diamiter hose with it

Never sid i was perfect did I
              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
                I now understand why they supplied a large diamiter hose with it

Never sid i was perfect did I
                The heat extracted by the unit plus the heat it generates during operation has to go somewhere

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                Custom Packages

Comment

The heat exchange / recycle units used to be subject to grants / tax liability offsets (tree hugging policies) ... not sure this applies to portable units though.

A low cost option is to drag the fridge upstairs.

Plus : no additional hardware, beer on hand upstairs, night light for Travis
                  Con : the wife will not be happy, risk of damaging paintwork moving it upstairs

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hope you saved your receipt for a refund - done nowt but rain since this thread!

Bikster
                    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

A low cost option is to drag the fridge upstairs.
                      Maybe he went for the DIY option.

- Drag Fridge upstairs
                      - Remove Window
                      - Put fridge in window space with back poking out. Seal around edges
                      - Open fridge door when cooling needed.

Added benefit of blocking the sunshine too.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Lee,

We have a couple of the air con units left over from a promo we did, I owe you so will send it out to you today.

Cheers
                        Lee
                        Many Thanks
                        Lee
                        Landscape Garden Machinery, Power Tools and Safety Equipment

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                          Hope you saved your receipt for a refund - done nowt but rain since this thread!
                          LOL i was thinking the same, that's why I wanted portable, i can lift it above my head and use it as an umbrella.

Comment

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...IR+CONDITIONER

Bought this one last summer for the office section.
                            Works a treat.
                            Not too noisy (one can use the phone quite happily). More of a loud hum.
                            The cold airflow can be directed from left to right.
                            Needs to pump the hot air out of course.
                            Came with a round outlet boss and also a rectangular brick-shaped one too.
                            I'd imagine that once Travis got acclimatised to the noise (see what I did there ) it would lull him to sleep.

Wouldn't be without it now - much better than having a fan which is irritating and blows paperwork all over the place.
                            Kind Regards
                            Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Talking of fans, Travis is attracted to them like a moth to a flame, i have cold sweats about him losing the tips of his fingers. That was until now, check this puppy out - http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/Dyson_A...FUeZ2AodxHyGJw

Comment

Working...
                              X