Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v10 ACD into v9

Oooo what a mistake - it doesn't like that one bit

Lots on non-specified error windows (just a big CANCEL button on the warning window), database nastiness, failures to close and open and then booting via command prompt into another site it could not remove all the site.

May be one for the wish list to check for backward ACD imports before loading the site. Thankfully I have Bus Plus otherwise I would have borked the v9 installation.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

I'm not 100% sure but v10 to v9 may be a special case. IIRC we had to change the versioning somewhere, because pre-v10 Actinic only expected a single digit. So v9 may think a v10 snapshot is v1, or something like that. I know that seems short-sighted now, but everything is obvious with hindsight. It would be difficult to fix it retrospectively in older versions.
    Bruce Townsend
    Ecommerce Product Manager
    Sellerdeck Ecommerce Solutions

Comment

For future releases maybe some form of check against a simple .TXT file to warn the version you are importing is different to the version of Actinic installed. This could even extend to the patch version as well eg:

The file you are importing was generated using v9.5.0 - you are using v9.5.1. Some changes to the data may occur, do you wish to continue.

For developers this would be most useful as clients can be on any manner of patches, for site owners it could warn against installing a backup ACD into a newer version.

Bikster

Comment

Moving up and down between minor releases should not be a problem, that's been provided for at least since v9.0.0. It's not OK between single point releases, eg if there were a v9.1.0 you could not import its snapshot into v9.0.5 and downwards. But to my knowledge we've only ever released one of those. We try to avoid them.
        Bruce Townsend

Comment

I think a patch warning would be helpful for both developer and site owners - if any work has been done in the .pl scripts for example these are generally reset back to factory upon a patch upgrade.

It would help owners remember to check for any modifications they have made and for developers to ensure when the ACD goes back to the client any changes are not reset again due to a change in patch version.

Bikster

Comment

I will see if we have that on the wish list. If not, I will add it.
            Bruce Townsend

Comment

Thanks Bruce. I realise it is not a major issue but one that would help in a small way.

Bikster

Comment

Working...
              X