Computer Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Advice

Would it be possible to fit 4 monitors, 2 keyboards and 2 mice to a computer all working without switches etc?

The monitors would need to be paired with the same image, so 2 x 2.

The reason, we would like access to the computer from the packaging room which is the other side of the wall, but a long walk round.

Ideally we would like to just pass the wires through the wall so that we have access to the main computer from the packaging room.

The computer would only be used by 1 person, it would just save them keep walking back and forth.

Is this possible?

Many thanks

Jason
    Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
    Zirconium Rings
    Damascus Steel Rings

I dont know the answer to your question, but why dont you put another computer in the packing room?

Comment

Another computer would need to be updated, maintained etc just to save a little bit of a walk. If this was the only way then we will stay as we are.

However if it is possible as described in my 1st post then this would be the best outcome.
      Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
      Zirconium Rings
      Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

You can certainly have multiple mouse and keyboards on USB but mirroring your two displays may be the issue depending on your graphics card capabilities. You should however be able to get some video 'boxes' that do that - otherwise another computer running something like TightVNC might suffice so you can both see the same desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
          . TightVNC might suffice so you can both see the same desktop.
          i have used this heavily over the last few years and this is ideal for use over a lan or vpn

Comment

Reverse KVM Switch

A 'Reverse KVM Switch' might do it - one pc (in the office) with second (K)eyboard(V)ideo display(M)ouse cabled through the wall. Only one set can be used at a time; hitting a key/moving a mouse takes control. Not sure about the multiple display though - could you have a widescreen monitor windowed?
            Paul
            Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

If I have read it right, you need to put two monitors in the office and then duplicate the output in the packing station
              both areas to have access to the keyboard and mouse

pop over to www.startech.com/uk and search for part number SV231DDVDUA
              this does two screens (one s-vga the other dvi) and keyboard, mouse, usb and audio
              you "switch" using a button on the unit or hotkeys on the keyboard

clever bit of kit for £139 (use it myself)

kev

Comment

Working...
              X