Kaspersky - Slow Rootkit scan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaspersky - Slow Rootkit scan

I'm not sure if anyone else using Kaspersky is experiencing this. I'm using Kaspersky Pure but I've seen reports of kaspersky 2011 doing the same thing.

Since yesterday, Kaspersky has taken up most of the CPU resources for as much as 1 hour minutes while doing a rootkit scan. This starts automatically about 30 minutes after turning on the PC and can't be disabled.

Prior to this it only ever took 7 minutes and wasn't very intensive. It now hogs the CPU and avp.exe is using up to 800MB of memory (it slowly rises over time a couple of times during the scan).

You can check how long the rootkit scan takes by looking at the detailed scan report in Kaspersky. And if you experience any slowness it's worth looking at what avp.exe is doing (there are two of these processes, so check them both).

I've filed a report on the Kaspersy forum and was wondering if anyone else here was experiening the same thing.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

From what I've read, it seems to be machine specific, although I'm not sure whether anyone has pinned down the cause yet. I run Kaspersky 2011, and had the same problem on one machine but not on another. The affected machine is an AMD x64 running Vista Ultimate, 4 gig RAM. My W7 machine is unaffected. I ended up uninstalling it from the problem machine and reverting to AVG as I couldn't find a solution.
    Ben
    http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

Interesting. My work one is intel based running XP.

I'll need to check what's happening on my home PC. That's also a Vista machine.

Mike

Comment

On v11 there's an option to disable the "Perform regular rootkits scan". On v10 I downloaded a different skin and that gave me a similar option.
        Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by guccij View Post
          On v11 there's an option to disable the "Perform regular rootkits scan". On v10 I downloaded a different skin and that gave me a similar option.
          Wish I'd seen that before I uninstalled it...
          Ben
          http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

After todays update the problem appears to have been fixed. Back to 6 minutes for the rootkit scan and no excessive cpu usage.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X