Watch out for orders from Edinburgh area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch out for orders from Edinburgh area

Just a 'heads up' (I hate that phrase) to watch out for unusual orders from the edinburgh area (postcodes EH4 5 6 & 7)

We have had three in the past day for just under the £500 mark that have been fraudulent. Are usual order value is under £100 which made us suspicious although we do get orders this big at this time of year.
    Unusual Silver Jewellery
    Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
    Crystal Healing Jewellery
    Steampunk Jewellery

We've had a run on Malaysia orders lately.
    Started with a geniune order/customer who has actually made a repeat order since but, since then (maybe someone at the PO or customs in Malaysia is watching who/what companies are posting/delivery there) we've had a large number of fraudulent ones.
    One guy tried 9 different USA-issued cards (credit and debit) before getting a local Malaysian card to go through (we voided it anyway)
    Another guy tried 2 USA cards before using an America Express which seemed not to use 3D secure? (Anyone verify this?) Our store is setup to reject failed 3D but accept a transaction if a customer's card isn't in the 3D scheme (which I guess a lot of overseas card issuers aren't and disallowing these would alienate a lot of our customers) so these AMEX cards must have gone through on the "not in scheme" allowance.

Still rather annoying though to be having to second guess every customer but hey, 'tis the season to be fraudulent 'n' all that, eh?
    Tracey

Comment

These fraudsters are a bit thick at times, of all the places to do a 500 quid fraud, I've never seen a Scotsman spend more than three and a half quid in one go.

Comment

Re Amex & 3D I found this news release : http://about.americanexpress.com/new...0/safekey.aspx
        Well I've got an Amex credit card - and when using online I've yet to see anything about 3D/Safekey - and can't find anything useful (so far) in FAQ on their UK site

Update - found "Safekey" in FAQ - "You can enrol now or when you make your first purchase at a participating SafeKey retailer" - anybody come across a Safekey retailer yet?

Comment

We have Merchant accounts with Amex and Amex have never mentioned Safekey to us.

Comment

We were quite lucky really, we sent the first order out without making further checks as we have a regular (once a year in late November) customer in Scotland and we just presumed it was him.
            The second order was from someone with the same name as someone we know and thought he must have moved to Scotland (this one we haven't sent.) After the third order, who tried to pay with PayPal first we contacted the Police.
            We have made a statement and sent the local Police photographs so we will have to see what happens.
            Unusual Silver Jewellery
            Giftmill - Unusual Gifts
            Crystal Healing Jewellery
            Steampunk Jewellery

Comment

We've never heard Safekey mentioned either!

We'll be keeping a check on EVERY AmEx paid order than comes in now because clearly their fraud checks are pants!
              Tracey

Comment

Working...
              X