close the company for a few days away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

close the company for a few days away?

This time of the year (and january) is about the quietest time of our year.

how do we "close the website" for a few days so that we can go away for a long weekend?
    do we simply change the flag "no orders on line" (ie maintenance mode)
    or do we ammend page 1 of the checkout to explain that "we want a break, place an order, we'll process it when we get back" - this way we can keep the website "open" and simply blip the emails to see if there's anything urgent (although thats not really the point of getting a break)

any suggestions

kev

This site is closed for essential maintenance and will reopen on Xxxxx. Our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

In business settings, switch off ordering so the add to cart buttons disappear and change the 'catalog suspended' message in design-text to something less dramatic.

Upload the site, pack your bag and off you go.

Comment

I would say it rather depends on what kind of service you promise your customers and how long a 'long weekend' is.

If your customers expect a next day delivery and that's the kind of service you promise then yes, close the website.

On the other hand, if you typically offer a 2-3 day service and send everything out by 2nd Class post then you could take Monday off and just send any orders out First Class on Tuesday. No need to say anything about it.

For longer periods, where your time off will affect when customers get their orders, you need to either let the customers know in advance or stop them placing orders.

Is it better to say 'Website Closed for Maintenance' or 'Taking a few days off, back on Wednesday'? That really depends on how you're positioning your company. If customers know it's a small, family business offering good service, then sure, why not say you're taking a couple of days off. If you're trying to present yourself as a large, professional organisation then maybe 'closed for maintenance' works better.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post

Is it better to say 'Website Closed for Maintenance' or 'Taking a few days off, back on Wednesday'? That really depends on how you're positioning your company. If customers know it's a small, family business offering good service, then sure, why not say you're taking a couple of days off. If you're trying to present yourself as a large, professional organisation then maybe 'closed for maintenance' works better.

Mike
        I agree with this Mike i have done it many times, i use the we are closed for a xxxxxxxx and will reopen x and have never had any complaints.

If you try to keep it running and deal with it when you get back it will never happen. Instead of having a break you end up checking emails and replying to those that failed to read your message about delivery times.

Darren

Comment

Think yourself lucky that you afford to turn away orders in the current climate, many businesses need every penny.Personally I'd just say that orders may be slightly delayed due to seasonal delivery variations and remove any special delivery options.

Comment

Hi

Alternative is to read your orders emails each day (either once or max twice a day) whilst on holiday and send back a quick message sorry this item is out of stock untill next Friday

Only take ten min and you keep all the orders and the site up,

As long as they get a reply with 24 hours they should be happy
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

I used to work away a lot during the summer at festivals, and found that most customers were happy to wait a few days for their orders. I edited the outer layout of the sites (initially by trial and error) to add a message saying "we're working away until xxx and all orders will be processed on our return". This appeared just above the inner layout on every page, so customers not landing on the homepage would see it. I had a more relaxing time knowing that orders were still being placed than going to our competitors!
              Ben
              http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

I don't think in today's world you should announce we are away or anything like that personally. It still amazes me how many people announce on social networks when they are going out for the day etc. Not every criminal lacks a pulse.

Comment

some interesting replies, thanks everyone.
                  personally, I hate the "social sites" where you let people know "I'm going to the toilet now", "i'm just off to the supermarket" etc
                  But I also believe its not wise to say "everyone's away, please come and rob me"

We give the impression that we are a large company, and so, life "should go on", having said that, its time for a break, goodness knows we've earned one
                  Most of our orders are large, one-offs and are courier/pallet delivery, so we never offer special delivery terms or anything like that, and we currrently growing at 30%+ year on year not quite enough to take on full time staff as they need one heck of a learning curve to be useful. having said that, I don't want to turn down any business, but I also want to get a few days off.

I like the idea of "wer'e growing so fast, that we need to update the computer systems etc" I could certainly live with that

anyway, thanks for the ideas,

any other obs?

kev

Comment

I don't think in today's world you should announce we are away or anything like that personally. It still amazes me how many people announce on social networks when they are going out for the day etc. Not every criminal lacks a pulse.
                    I'd agree for a home based business but not sure it would apply for one based on commercial premises.

You could argue that someone could find out your home address, but is that really a problem unless you're a rich so and so that criminals might want to target?

I haven't seen any figures about burglary levels going up in August when everyone's away on holidays (at least those that have kids anyways). Maybe the burglars are all on holiday as well.

Mike

Comment

It is safer to say maintenance rather than you are away. Someon might think you have valuable stock unprotected.

It been known to happen on Facebook that break-ins have happened to people who say they are away, so I would think a business is a slightly higher risk target.

Comment

Stock take? Our despatch dept will be closed for a stocktake over xx orders will be despatched from xx you could put it on the confirmation email as well?

D
                        Donna

Chief bunting supplier to Take That!

Comment

I'm sure there are lots of positive reasons you could use:

- Server Maintenance
                          - Systems Upgrade
                          - Stock take
                          - Staff Training Days
                          - Moving to Larger Premises (I think Chris used this one already)
                          - Moved to larger Premises and BT forgot to move the broadband (as above).

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike,

Glad you reminded me, when I have just got my blood pressure back down to sensible levels
                            Chris Ashdown

Comment

NEVER close the shop!!

I have a 'current status' info area on all pages, if I go away I state that order will not be processed until [date] due to stock checking or some other excuse. I ensure people know they can still order but its just delayed processing.

seems to work OK
                              Andy Warner

www.legendgames.co.uk - rpgs, boardgames, dice and other geeky stuff
                              www.RPGMiniatures.com D&D and Star Wars Miniatures

Both running the Cart from Search Page hack

Also www.mainlymurder.co.uk www.thegamesplace.co.uk and www.thediceplace.co.uk

All running V8.5.2 Multisite on a windows 7 quad PC, augmented by Mole End automation, from a single shared database, using actinic specific hosting from Host-IT.

Comment

Working...
                              X