What is the meaning of Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the meaning of Actinic

Looking up Actinic it would appear to be some sort of skin cancer, How was the name thought up by starters of Actinic software?
    Chris Ashdown

I thought 'Actinic' meant 'white hot'.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

"producing a photochemical effect" - sounds like Mike is right http://www.thefreedictionary.com/actinic
      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
        some sort of skin cancer
        So Chris, the word actinic is only the descriptive part of the type of cancer, actinic keratosis. You can also have 'actinic dermatitus', etc., the word is an adjective.
        Paul
        Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Kevin Grumball, my co-founder, came up with the name. It was the first that we thought of that met the following criteria:

- sounded techie
          - was a real word
          - started with an A so you always appear near the top of alphabetic lists
          - had all of the appropriate domain names still available

If I was starting now I would add having the trademarks available, but fortunately it turned out later that they were for Actinic.

Chris

Comment

Extract from this page:

Originally posted by cbarling View Post
            In the case of my own company there were particular complications. The word “Actinic” has legitimate commercial use to describe a type of radiation, so we couldn't trademark the word across the board. Instead, we trademarked the name “Actinic” in relation to computer software and services
            Paul
            Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

Working...
            X