What’s it worth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s it worth?

Continuing my saga of shutting my website down I’m in the process of selling off all my stock.

I’ve mentioned this of a couple of other sites and someone has contacted me wanting to buy the name after I retire.

I’ve got a couple of questions about this which hopefully someone can clear up.

1. How do you go about transferring the name over?

2. This is one of those ‘how long is a piece of string questions’ but I don’t know how much to ask for it It’s been trading since 2013 and grown organically.
    Search for Scottish gifts and I’m right on the front page but I don’t know if any of that is relevant.
    Is there any formula I should be using or should I just be grateful for anything at all!!
    Scottish Gifts 4U - quality gifts from Scotland

1. Transferring a domain name is fairly straightforward but the details depend on your registrar.

2. the domain on its own is not worth much. There are domain value estimation engines dotted around including estibot https://www.estibot.com/appraise?a=g...ource=appraise

They also explain why the domain is / isn’t valuable.

3. You might get a better price if you sell the business remnants such as the domain name and customer base in one package. A one off up to date mailing list in a niche would probably cost at least £1 per person so depending on how many recent customers you have there might be some value there.

Note that under the GDPR it’s unlikely that you can just sell customers details off to another company but if they purchase your business and merge them into their own (or even just email the customers from your business saying that you’re closing and recommending their business for future purchases) then it’s unlikely that any rules are being broken.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Well my stock has gone.

I started with a 40% off sale which got rid of a lot then was lucky enough to get a bit of space in a local shop where the owner was retiring at the same time.

When said shop owner realised my stuff was better quality/selling better than hers she bought the lot off of us.

So that was a lot less painful than I thought. We probably could have got more for it but it went all at once rather than in bits.
      Scottish Gifts 4U - quality gifts from Scotland

Comment

You must be glad about that. Getting rid of the remaining stock can be a real pain as it’s understandably the least popular items that are left.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
        X