Whatever happend to that other site that started with Inter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever happend to that other site that started with Inter

Did they just shut the cart service down, heard rumour but no mentions on any forums
    Chris Ashdown

A search still brings it up but I think they changed the name to 'big........'

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Seems that it's just hosted cart now ...
      Kind Regards
      Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

They did have quite a big following, makes you wonder if others will follow the same route, I imagine SD will have a keep out contract with the old company stopping them setting up hosting service for a number of years but after that????
        Chris Ashdown

Comment

It surprises me.
          While I can appreciate 'The Cloud' and its benefits, I can't understand companies that seem perfectly happy to place all their eggs in a Cloudy basket at the risk of the cloud bursting etc.
          I can't see any occasion where we would want to change having absolute possession and control of all our data/software/ecommerce.
          Is this mistakenly old-fashioned or sensible?
          Kind Regards
          Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Definatly very old Fashioned and also very sensible in my opinion

What also suprised me was the very large payments for going a few products over any level

All in all I think this lot SD have it about right
            Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
              Cheers Chris
              Kind Regards
              Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
                +1 for me too!

Each to their own, but personally I have little interest in a cloud solution. Ownership and control are important factors to me.

I like the SellerDeck software and hope they see fit to keep the desktop approach for many years to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Williams View Post
                  It surprises me.
                  While I can appreciate 'The Cloud' and its benefits, I can't understand companies that seem perfectly happy to place all their eggs in a Cloudy basket at the risk of the cloud bursting etc.
                  I can't see any occasion where we would want to change having absolute possession and control of all our data/software/ecommerce.
                  Is this mistakenly old-fashioned or sensible?
                  Got to agree, the cloud is fine for large companies with plenty of clout but small guys get let down badly when the cloud goes wrong. Case in point was the amazon system in the US, amazon is a big player over there and has suffered several major problems over the last few years many small businesses lost all their data during one of these outages. Amazon responded to the problem by pointing out these sites did not take advantage of the costlier backup systems amazon provided.

I like to keep my data close to hand, who knows where it actually is stored when cloud based.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                  SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                  Custom Packages

Comment

It's not the lost data that worries me so much (obviously a big factor though) as even without broadband I can do a lot and take telephone orders , update the products or accounts when all in-house but with cloud based systems without broadband your stuffed and we do get quite a few outages over the years
                    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Very interesting thread.
                      Another aspect to bear in mind is the recent Payvment example. (click on link to read their corporate "message")
                      Leaving your IP and data with a 3rd party, hosted solution can leave you exposed if the ground suddenly shifts and that company is bought over or goes bust........
                      Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                      Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                      SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

A similar example would be the Mamut/MYOB accounting furore.

The MYOB software required periodical reactivation from an online server, which was supposedly free for life.

Mamut, who had not long previously acquired the UK arm of MYOB, basically tore up the original software license agreement and attempted to force existing users of the MYOB software to pay for the privilege of accessing their own datafiles, which they had invested much time and effort in creating! If you're interested you can read about it here:

http://myobusergroupltd.onefireplace.org/

It's an issue close to my heart (I am an MYOB user), and another very good reason why I don't think I will ever again trust any company which in effect has more control over my precious data than I have

Comment

I Totally Agree

Years ago I used some online based shopping cart software, hosted by the domain host, now would be called "cloud based" rather than online based. I deliberately chose to change to Actinic, now Sellerdeck, as it was not online based software. I consider it important to be in control and have had some bad experiences when not.

Setting up my first web shop 13 years ago was very expensive in dial-up telephone charges, pre broadband, pre unlimited use, etc.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                          X