Anybody using MS SBS 2003?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody using MS SBS 2003?

We are still using Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 as our office server, is like Windows XP. It could do with updating, especially as no longer supported, not that it was ever actually supported. Any ideas about a replacement, and any guide as to cost, for running Sellerdeck mainly?

Sarah

We run SBS2003 and yes it is on the Microsoft hit list as well but not as widely advertised.

I have been procrastinating some time as to a replacement so will now have to start saving the pennies. Dell or HP are going to be my first stopping point for an upgrade server with appropriate server software.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

We are in the same boat, but I think we will give it another year before we upgrade, But then we are still using Word 97 on most machines and quite happy with it

Do the new fangled versions latest features really get used that often?
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
        still using Word 97
        Hardcore respect

Originally posted by chris ashdown View Post
        Do the new fangled versions latest features really get used that often?
        Nope - they just make life more difficult by faffing around with menu locations and enabling training sites to earn more money.

Bikster

Comment

Excel was old hat by the time I dropped Supercalc and Wordstar

Anyone remember basic where "GOTO" was deemed the sin of all sins, still got my Psion, must change the battery
          Chris Ashdown

Comment

I remember only too well.

I believe that Supercalc and Wordstar will still run on Win7 inside DOSbox.
            I used to have a print of all the Wordstar keyboard shortcuts stuck to the PC CRT. WYSIWIG - what's that!

GOTO was an absolute no no and never, ever jump out of a loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Rounding View Post
              GOTO was an absolute no no
              oh c'mon what about the classic:

10 print "hello";
              20 GOTO 10

how many hours of fun in school did you have with that? life gets no better than that!

I still remember having the keyboard shortcuts to WordPerfect cut out, glued to the back of a strip of card from a cornflakes box and blu-tacked above the F keys.... wrote my thesis like that. Those were the days before ribbon bars and context sensitive menus

Bikster

Comment

Sad to say I even did some assembly programming for the 8088. My Zylog reference book was used so much it fell apart and I had to punch it and put it in a file. Add a bit of veroboard to mount some LEDs and switches as well as simple display and tape storage. Such fun.

I guess the Rasberry PI comes the closest to those nerd activities of yesteryear.

Strange, I thought I heard Norman...

Comment

Crikey - just found that Zilog book scanned on the net. Programming the Z80 by Rodnay Zaks. Nostalgia.

Comment

Z80 - how posh are you - I had a second hand stick to play with

Bikster

Comment

Careful now, we're heading into Monty Python territory: http://www.phespirit.info/montypytho...rkshiremen.htm

Comment

Continuing the side track

What I have noticed is that over the years computers have stayed the same price as they increased in spec. My first, a Texas Instruments TI199a, cost about £2,000 in about 1982. I replaced it with a BBC B, which cost £2,000 including a disk drive and a dot matrix printer, in about 1984. This I replaced with a Tandon something, my first pc, with a 30 mB removable hard drive, for about £2,000 in about 1986. Then onwards with a new computer every about 3 years, always about the same price, always buying the highest spec available at the time.

The most powerful software that I ever had was Masterfile (database) on which I did everything - ordering processing, stock control, customer database, etc. It was very fast, simple, and used up very little space. The same amount of data nowadays would use up considerably more storage space, ram memory, etc and would be slower.

On the BBC B I had software which was on chips inserted in the motherboard, and was great - wordprocessing, a spreadsheet, and even Logo!

Memories . . .

Sarah

Comment

Was it dbase that when you opened it all you got was a dot

or 1 for yes and 0 for no
                          Chris Ashdown

Comment

Vague memories of plain black screen

I have some vague memories of the BBC B software chips, starting with a plain black screen and a cursor, so you had to know what to do next. The opposite to WYSIWYG.

Masterfile, I am not sure, may have been a sample file to edit to start with. I remember having to write a lot of Basic to develop it, and I had it doing look-ups, calculations, goto, what if, if then, etc. I spent long hours developing it but the end result was quick and powerful.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                            X