Favicon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favicon

I've created a favicon that people to display when people bookmark my site. It all work fine except the text next to it when it's bookmarked just says 'home' and not the name of the site. I think it's to do with the page title, but the page title isn't called 'home' so i'm not sure where to change it.

Anyone any experience on favicons who can help please?

No worries, have sorted it.

Comment

you got it working, help me pls?!?!?

I've also created a favicon - tried to make it work, but it dont seem to.

any general guidlines would be appreciated.

pls pls pls pls pls pls

garry

Comment

Hi Garry,

Can you let me know what you have done so far? And then I can compare this with what I did.

I created my favicon in Photoshop and resized it to 16.x16 pixels. I then downloaded a trial version of Icon Forge and opened the .gif file in that, chose 16.x16 and 256 colours. Saved it as an ico file.

Iconforge seems to put the extension as .ICO so I renamed this to lowercase .ico.

I then FTP'd it to my root directory on the web. I think that's pretty much what I did. Did you do anything different?

You can email me if you'd like more help.

Gill

Comment

hello,
          i created a favicon (16x16) and saved it as dc.ico - then put this up onto the server..... i dont need to link it to any files or anything??? i might have it in the wrong folder....

thanks for the reply.
          garry

Comment

AHHHHA

the dc.ico has to be called favicon.ico

Thanks very muchly - i had done this months ago and just gave up - so now you have made me fix it!!!!

thanks,
            garry

Comment

to server

Hi Gill,
              I want to get this done too, I do not have dreamweaver so how do I FTP the image to my server?
              Any help greatly received.
              Thanks.
              Mark
              If everything in life were simple there would be no challenge!

Comment

You can download an ftp client such as smartftp from smartftp.com. The ftp settings are in your Actinic network configuration.

Comment

download

Hi,
                  Is it safe to do the download, I am always avoiding downloading free programs due to hidden things trying to happen (picked up by my virus software).
                  Or would I be better buyng something.
                  Thanks.
                  Mark

Comment

I use smartftp all the time and have done for years, it's a very good program - no spyware etc. You should be safe to use it as long as you get it from the smartftp.com site.

Comment

There's another thread running about favicons that might be of interest:
                      http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=26040

Comment

Thanks for the link.

Comment

Download

Hi again.
                          Is it the same for the online creation of favicons, as I want to use one of these easy to use sites but again don't want to add anything iffy to my site of laptop.
                          Thanks.
                          Mark

Comment

In the past I've used an online site to create my favicon - you then just save the created favicon and use it. I've never had problems but you could always do a virus check on the file if you're unsure. Some even create the code for your webpage to go with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X