Backing Up Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up Data

I make a copy of my Site 1 folder on a daily basis and usually use a Zip Disk 250mb.

This is now reaching capacity and wondered if anyone had any suggestions for storing this data in excess of 250mb.

Hi there

Might be an idea to invest in a cd writer? But remember when you do backup, all file contents will be set to read only.

Edit: CDR and CDR-W have a storage of 650mb or 700mb

Kind Regards
    Nadeem Rasool
    SellerDeck Development

Comment

I had noticed this Nadeem. How do you overcome this?
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Hi George

There is no way around this i'm afraid, the cd rom media is designed to be read only. I don't know regarding cd-rewritable, because you can do multisession on them, but i believe they will also be set to read only as well

Kind regards
        Nadeem Rasool
        SellerDeck Development

Comment

Just incase the pc running Actinic got stolen, what back-up/snapshot/copy and paste (site1) or whatever method we should use to have the 'site up and running again asap? Theres about a million files in site1!

Cheers Nas.
          Football Heaven

Comment

Hi there

Sorry for the late reply, if you do a snapshot, then this will zip up all the files within site1 as well as your encryption key which resides in the registry. So this will be the best form of backup

Simply export a snapshot onto the desktop and then burn that snapshot file onto your cd

Kind Regards
            Nadeem Rasool
            SellerDeck Development

Comment

No problem Nadeem, never got burgled last night.

The snapshot also seems to create a file with (product) images stored outside the site1 folder as well. Is this something new, I've never noticed it before.
              Football Heaven

Comment

Hi George, Wheeps i was worried there

I believe it aways been in Actinic v6, the pictures outsite the site1 folder will be placed in a folder called NOT_CATALOG. Could be something new within the snapshot structure of v6 program, but as you can see the snapshot contains all files within the site1 folder

Kind Regards
                Nadeem Rasool
                SellerDeck Development

Comment

I always back up the entire Site1 folder. It is far more reliable than a snapshot.............which has been known to fail

Backups? better be safe than sorry.

Edit.....Actually I back up the V6 folder which contains the Site1 folder

Comment

I always use a removeable USB plug in 256Mb storage unit.

I copy over all the new files made during the day and transfer them to my PC at home. Any new files made that night are transfered back on to the removeable unit and the next morning simply plugged into the USB port in work and copied accross.

This way, I always have an up to date backup and a second backup 24 hours old incase anything should go wrong.

The device cost me approx £90 and is carried round my neck so it is alway with me if needed.

Cheaper than a CD read writer and easier to carry than a CD.

Andrew
                    Jewellery247.co.uk
                    AndrewBerry.com

W: http://www.WelshGoldOnline.co.uk
                    W: http://www.jewellery247.co.uk
                    W: http://www.AndrewBerry.com

Comment

we used one of these as well. Works great but still no good to the OP who mentioned that he was needing more space!
                      We've moved up to a removable hard drive now and back up to that each time.
                      It's got more memory space than our standard hard drive too!!

Used to do CD-Rom but it was a pain copying all the files over and then removing al the read only attributes. PITA!

Actually, I 've been, more often than not, using my USB data link cable to copy from PC to Laptop lately as my PC is currently dying from XP-overload (long story!) but that's only any good if you're using alaptop too and it can be just as much of a pain having to upload the site each time after transfer (takes an age to do both sites, even with broadband!)

Anyway, I prefer the removable hard drive option personally but CD writing, read-only problems 'n' all, comes a close second if you don't have a laptop.

HTH, Tracey
                      Tracey

Comment

Working...
                      X