Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actinic Future Versions....c#, vb.net.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actinic Future Versions....c#, vb.net.....

Just curious if in the future developments of Actinic there are any plans to create a version based on asp.net technologies and c# or vb.net instead of perl?

I think Actinic is a great product (client based is the only practical way to run a catalog and I love the .html generated pages for search engine optimization) and could really become mainstream if developers could use the new technologies as well as keep a version based on the perl model.

Our small development firm has both unix and windows servers but I have never used actinic on windows (heard of slow performance) but if a version of Actinic was used with windows technologies I wouldn't be hesitant to use our windows servers with the product.

I’ve briefly looked at Microsoft’s commerce solutions and they are so expensive and I have not found any product like actinic that is based on c# or vb.net and asp.net technologies.

Just wanted to throw this out there....I believe I already know the answer but just wanted to ask.

Thanks,
    Jason

A logical next step for Actinic would be to consider a solution with an online database as this allows so much more functionality and flexibility in the display of products.

I always think it is a miracle how much we have been able to do with offline-generate static pages, but there are always limits. The features we would dearly love to offer are things like top-ten lists, bestseller lists etc. - all of which requires a database online.

The big question, however, is what technology to use. Microsoft's server applications, as you point out, are big and powerful, but they are also expensive and will be a problem for those who prefer to avoid MS solutions.

It is a discussion we are having a lot internally at the moment, and your feedback and views are very useful to us.

Comment

Working...
    X