Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One Click Complete - Offline orders: Do not generate email for blank email field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One Click Complete - Offline orders: Do not generate email for blank email field

For most offline orders we don't ask for an email address and when you click "complete" it generates one.

It does come up with a dialog box with YES/NO, but answering it wrong generates the email.

So when you do a Operations>Send Emails you always get an error on the email it can't send
    [1] it will always get an error message until you find the order and delete it - annoying as it halts the email process as it waits for you to answer the dialog box.
    [2] the error message has no details on which order it came from, so you have to find it by looking at each and every offline order until you find it.
    [3] Housekeeping>Purge>Purge Emails only removes email that are marked as deleted, so this doesn't help.

What would be nice is a tick box to say "Do not generate email for offline orders" on the one-click complete section

Alternative: Do not generate the email for blank email field - the dialog box with the YES/NO, should be changed to a warning with the user can only click "OK". So if you want to eventually send one, enter in the email address and send one manually.

Tak.

Personally i think it is a good idea to always ask for this so that the customer gets the confirmation emails and is aware at what stage their transaction is. This email is always a great reference for the customer to find out your details in 3 months time when they want to order something else.

Also if you don't take the email address, you are removing a possible customer from the mailing lists options in the future.

If all that doesn't convince you, then create another email address on your domain i.e. nomail@mydomain.com and have this email address set to auto delete on your hosting control panel. When you complete an offline order and do not want to take the email address, fill in the above dummy one and your woes will be solved.

Comment

I agree with taking email addresses for marketing purposes and we encourage all our customers to order from our site.

However there are some who don't have access to the internet so they phone through their order and we enter it in as an offline order.

I find, from experience, the majority of these people are retired and buy our products for their hobby.

There are a minority that refuse to enter any of their details on the web - some customers refuse to give out phone/email details because of fear of receiving junk mail etc.

I think there should be an option to not generating an email when there is no email address OR the software defaults to not sending an email when there is no email address and should generate a warning that the email field is blank.

Tak.

Comment

Working...
      X