No announcement yet.

Automated one product per section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would also like to be able to remove the "Section text" field from my csv file import but Actinic (V7) won't let me even though I have unchecked the "Auto Generate Product References" box. Any thoughts?
    http://www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk

Comment

Section text = name of section to put this page/product in

Product reference = product reference
      Bill
      www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
      Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
      BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
      Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
      VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
      Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Graeme

I think I managed to crack the import thing after experimentation, and advice from the boards.

My tips are:

Flat file import requires section text
        hierachicial file import can be done without it

Create a simple csv without section text, and use hierachicial import (even though you want to import products only, without changing sections) with auto generate references turned off.

Also make sure that your import file only contains headers for the fields contained within your csv file - delete ALL unused headers

csv must include a product ref to do this

Hope that helps

Martin

[EDIT] - this is based on V5 - assume its the same for V8, sure someone else will say if its not

Comment

Flat file import doesn't require section text if you are not autogenerating product references and have included the product reference in the file.

I would also like to be able to remove the "Section text" field from my csv file import but Actinic (V7) won't let me even though I have unchecked the "Auto Generate Product References" box. Any thoughts?
          Have you included the product reference in the file. If you have, what errors are you getting?

This file works for me, with the default database :

"Product Reference","Full description","Price"
          "1","Charles Dickens' classic tale.",600
          "2", "Jane Austen's classic tale",700
          "3", "Test Thomas Hardy's gripping tale.",900

I have found a problem though, if you try to create products without adding the section text they are created on the database but do not appear in the tree, if you check the database, their parent section id is set to -1 and it should be 0 (they would then appear under the section list as top level products). So only use flat file without section text if you are updating existing products.

This is the file that I tried to import.

"Product Reference","Short Description", "Full description","Price"
          "4000", "Jan's test", "Long Description", 1000

Regards,
          Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
          Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
          A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
          Product Mash for Sellerdeck
          Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
          Multichannel order processing
          Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Originally posted by Jan
            Have you included the product reference in the file. If you have, what errors are you getting?
            Jan
            I do includde a product ref in the file and have automatic ref generation turned off, but Actinic tells me it needs something in the Section Text field so it knows where to put the products.

Ideally what I'd like to happen is that when I import my file, existing products are simply updated and new products are created as top-level items which can then be manually relocated to the relevatn section.

Martin
            I'll give your idea a try; sounds good.

Thanks

Comment

Flat file import doesn't require section text if you are not autogenerating product references and have included the product reference in the file.
              Jan - this must have changed somewhere between v5 (ancient, I know ), and v8, as you get the error Graeme describes in v5 when tring to import a flat file, but not with a hierarchicial file).

Graeme - experiment and you will get there (worth reading the help files, although I didn't find them as clear as they could have been) - and do BACK UP BEFORE EXPERIMENTING (I managed to managle at least one test database due to using incorrect header layout).

One more tip to add (which others have clarified before), make sure that all imported fields have data in them ie when you look at the records in excel, if some fields are empty, you must populate these with dummy data, else the import can go wrong - this won't apply if are just importing simple product records and nothing else, but may crop up if you have a mix of products, sections and customvariables to import

Comment

this is a real pain, i nthe early days the froogle feed produced an export file with both section name and product reference, I used this to create a flat file import.

As time went on the section name got dropped --- boo hoo.

I don't understand why actinic has made it mandatory to have section name as the product reference is the only unique field therefore should be sufficient on its own to import a flat file.

A simple export facility with a few key fields would be extremely useful as a shell to creating a flat import for simple tasks as price updating.

export prod ref, price, apply a formula for price changes re-import, job done 5 mins.

Comment

A simple export facility with a few key fields would be extremely useful as a shell to creating a flat import for simple tasks as price updating.
                  Jo - if its not already in there, do you want to add this to the wish list as a seperate item - gets my backing 100%

I don't understand why actinic has made it mandatory to have section name as the product reference is the only unique field therefore should be sufficient on its own to import a flat file.
                  Yup, its one of those funny ideas that only Actinic seem to have!
                  The same cock-eyed logic (and bad database practice) that has customer names stored and indexed as Suffix+Firstname+Surname, instead of indexing seperately on surname.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetwood
                    I tried that but the froogle feed dosen't contain the section text per se.
                    Martin
                    The Froogle export does contain the Section Text info; it's under "category" and shows sections and subsections separated by ">".
                    So if I'm not misunderstanding this, all you'd need to do is replace the ">" with a "|".
                    Does that make sense?

Comment

The Froogle export does contain the Section Text info; it's under "category" and shows sections and subsections separated by ">".
                      I've just done a v8 froogle export, where it does not give you the section name.

you get
                      link ie domain/acatalog/pagename.html
                      title ie short description
                      description ie full description
                      price
                      image-link ie domain/acatalog/imagename.jpg
                      id ie product reference

there is nothing to easily convert to get sectionname

Comment

I'm using V7 and the Froogle export gives the following fields:-
                        product_url
                        name
                        description
                        price
                        image_url
                        category
                        offer_id

Looks like they've dumped the category output - bummer.

Comment

Working...
                        X