Incremental snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incremental snapshot

I've just taken on a new customer who switched to our service. His catalog, when ported over, contained over 2100 items. He has just added another 1000+ items.

The initial snapshot he sent me (on CD) was over 45Mbytes. I have no idea what the new products will add to that, but my guess would be another 20+M.

These files cannot be emailed back and forth.

There has to be a BETTER way.

I'm sure I'm not alone here - catalogs are getting bigger and bigger - we're now in negotiations with a potential customer who needs to build a catalog with over 4000 items.

I'd like to see an incremental snapshot function and some real backup management.

e.g.: We take a FULL snapshot on date x, and then whenever I make changes (or the customer makes changes) we perform an incremental snapshot which only saves files changed or added since x.

Of course, I'm over-simplifying, but, as stated above, there has to be a BETTER way. Other than mailing cds or flash drives back and forth.

ps - anybody want to write rsynch for Windoze?
    David Camm
    President
    Advanced Web Systems
    Keller, TX

I tend to use FTP. Each new client gets his own ftp area on one of my servers, with his own unique identity and password. I download his/her snapshot from that area, and upload the finished work snapshot to the same ftp folder.

Works fine when the ISP is not "trying to improve the service" aka broken.
    Bill
    www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
    Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
    BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
    Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
    VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
    Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Working...
    X