Off Site Snapshot Backup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off Site Snapshot Backup

Actinic Biz 8.5, though being complex in many ways, has some super gizmos...the ability to upload the site with single click of a button...Same with the download orders...

...How about a single button for "off site" backup where a site snapshot could be stored on in a directory on a server as well as on the local machine.

This will add a huge amount of security and comfort zone...

I have snapshot backups on a second internal drive and on an external drive. But they are all in my home - what happens if I have a fire/burglary etc?.. It would be comforting to know that I could reinstal 8.5 and click a button and refresh the new machine from the server...
    www.yandles.co.uk
    www.websilk.co.uk
    Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
    So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Donald,

You can always upload a copy of the backup to a folder on your server. I will add this into the internal wish list.

Kind regards,
    Bruce King
    SellerDeck

Comment

Taking Bruce's idea a step further you could add the snapshot to a digital download (if your copy of Actinic allows) ... although this could be a pain in speed terms if updating the site post snapshot .. but always ensures a safe copy of the file is there. Just a thought.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

How about a single button for "off site" backup where a site snapshot could be stored on in a directory on a server as well as on the local machine.
        this would be a very useful addition, with the option to specify where to put the snapshot as backup data should always be placed at the root of a site and not within a folder in order for it to be secure and not visible to prying eyes.

If the ability to FTP a snapshot was added you need to ensure it doesn't go to acatalog as there are still people who do not protect their folders with an index file.

Comment

Would it be a bad security measure if everyone had the same snapshot addy though?

ie www dot mysite dot com slash currentsnapshot dot acd.

I know you call them anything you want anyway, just a thought though if the whole process became automated, possibly ladelled by default and containing a time and date.
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by george
            Would it be a bad security measure if everyone had the same snapshot addy though?
            Yep - hence my suggestion to use the digital download as this is index.html protected and incorporates a random prefix to the filename.

The inbuilt log-on security would deter the casual thief but I understand from Zoltan it is not Fort Knox standard... still ... you are more likely to get your flash stick knicked from your car on the way home than someone grabbing it from the internet.

Bikster
            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
            X