Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what i've seen and heard, i think you have pretty much hit the nail on the head. Chris mentioned that GC was launched a year ago in the USA and about 2% use it. They have to draw a line somewhere and somebody working on it for 3 years is just not worth the time investment from their side, if take up is so small. Like you say 3 years is ludicrous, however long it maybe, 3 years is complete boulder dash.

If they came out and said instead of spending 3 years on just this one feature, would you rather we do the vat rounding, the stock control and streamline the current checkout, i know what i would choose without even thinking about it.

I've looked at some of the sites desperate for GC, especially those with only Paypal as an option and then laughed when they say they're losing business without GC. Certainly not as much as they are with only offering Paypal!

If new things like this jump the queue, then the 2, 3 & 4 year old problems will never get sorted out. Sod GC and get the bloody software we have now working correctly first.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
      I've looked at some of the sites desperate for GC, especially those with only Paypal as an option and then laughed when they say they're losing business without GC.
      Always better to blame someone else for poor results

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
        Open Source will also literally have a team of thousands around the globe all contributing towards the code so 800 man days can be done in relatively short period of time due to the amount of men (and women) involved.
        Jonty, you got it dude! Open source actinic for a year, we'll get everything we want done within 12 months then!

Comment

Why doesn't everyone email Google and ask them to create a free cart to go with their checkout?

Just downloaded instructions to get free electricity for life using 2 pallets, frying pan (non-stick), a Raleigh bike dynamo and a piece of Stilton (type non-specific) ... no more Powergen bills. Hoozaah. Hopefully the next time I load Google Cart the sun is out and the wind is blowing like billy-o

Bikster

Comment

is that people have indicated that they don’t need a full integration. Hence we are exploring some ideas that could provide a Google Checkout capability, leaving all order processing in Google.
            for me this would be a non starter, i can't see that having to process google checkout payments outside of actinic being any thing except painful.

That said i don't really understand why google checkout is such a big deal. Do people really think that by not offering it you lose a sale?

All the offers by Google at the mo are just loss leaders to get people using it, I suspect in 6/12 months time it will have reached a point at which maybeit will be 5% pf totals sales through the checkout. and we'll all be wondering what the fuss was about.

JMTW

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook

That said i don't really understand why google checkout is such a big deal. Do people really think that by not offering it you lose a sale?

JMTW
              If you already use Adwords, you get your card processing for free, rather than PaypalPro £20 a month plus 3.4%, when margins are tight, that makes a lot of difference.

Comment

Just to throw inflammable liquid onto the burning embers... I'd argue that Paypal only got `big` whilst on the back on eBay... not that Google are small of course... but what do they offer to an online buyer that isn't already out there...

...and many people looked `down` on Paypal on this very forum once upon a time...
                Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

If you already use Adwords, you get your card processing for free, rather than PaypalPro £20 a month plus 3.4%, when margins are tight, that makes a lot of difference.

Its a case of do the research and decide which is best for you. Google Checkout is just one of many choices, by not offering it doesn't mean your site will cease to take orders.

As a shopper I probably will not bother with GC, I'd still rather go with a traditional PSP. I also have this feeling that in a few years time we will all be moaning about google having total dominance much in the way everyone complains about the current day monopoloistic attitude of microsoft.

Comment

JMTC

Although eBuyer offer £10 off for using GC, I still go down the alternate route. Is it my old age paranoia about security and all things new?

How many SMBs can offer £10.00 off an item and still make a buck?

TTFN
                    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

I'd rather see the MSNwobblyTrolley integrated first. Google are getting too big too fast and they still can't even get the search results correct. Slam the bottom of your page with links to all over the place, almost guaranteed top 5 place - STILL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                        3 years for one person to do this is madness. How have others already implemented this? There has been requests for months if not years to improve the checkout process, surely this has to be the last nail in it's coffin?

Would it be easier to scrap the current checkout, streamline it and then integrate Google checkout? Kill 2 very big birds with one stone.

Originally posted by Mark H
                        Gosh this gets even better - do you mean that Google Checkout would replace the five Actinic pages my customers have to wade through!!

Actinic could use Google Checkout integration to help with the over-long Actinic checkout process so many have complained about over the last three years - two birds with one stone!
                        Hey Lee - get your own lines!

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Sorry dude, i don't normally playgfefytftyise, is that how u spell it?

Spooky though, very similar, didnt read yours honest guv.

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
                            JMTC

Although eBuyer offer £10 off for using GC, I still go down the alternate route. Is it my old age paranoia about security and all things new?

How many SMBs can offer £10.00 off an item and still make a buck?

TTFN
                            Exactly, its all hype to whip up a frenzy of excitement.... just like Tescos offering loss leader to get you in the door, offer a loaf of bread for 10p get the person in the supermarket and they rarely leave without spending £20 thus tesco make their profit to pay for the loss leader.

Comment

beans on toast for 2 days for 18p, those were the days.

Comment

Loaves of bread at around midnight for 5p ..... the ducks love it

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                                X