Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK sorry RuralWeb point taken. Perhaps it was wrong to label it as a developers issue, but an issue there is. People have valid concerns and they are invariably shot down and disbelieved.

@Los - its a big risk to change software. The cost of the replacement software is not the issue, the amount of work and SEO that has gone into existing sites over the years is. The amount of work needed to ditch actinic is greater cost than the benefit that GC would bring(would have brought) no doubt, which is the only reason im still using it.

Costs, hmm. The problem here is that there is an automatic state of disbelief shown. You state it clearly...

"I am at a loss as to how you can blame the lack of advancement to implement GC has cost you money and attribute this to Actinic?"

If your at a loss as to why a site has suffered because of no GC when they have used Actinic for years, has good rankings, shifts a lot of orders and whose avg order value is around £20 , then you are the one who needs to seriously consider your career options! (only j/k there, just thought Id get revenge on ya! )

Back to being serious, if someone says its affected them, why is this person automatically disbelieved? You hardly going to get certified accounts for the last quarter posted. Can you accept that not every ecommerce site is like the ones within your sphere of experience, and that some people actually have suffered from it. There was a marked difference of run rate during the £10 deal, put it that way. And Im now missing out on free banking for the transactions placed by the £10 deal exodus who are now shopping elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by alewis
      @Los - its a big risk to change software. The cost of the replacement software is not the issue, the amount of work and SEO that has gone into existing sites over the years is. The amount of work needed to ditch actinic is greater cost than the benefit that GC would bring(would have brought) no doubt, which is the only reason im still using it.
      This is a fair comment Alan and I fully understand you positioning on this one. If budget was not an option then I am sure you would have switched to a bespoke solution as the SEO would not be affected if the developers knew their stuff.

Costs, hmm. The problem here is that there is an automatic state of disbelief shown. You state it clearly...

"I am at a loss as to how you can blame the lack of advancement to implement GC has cost you money and attribute this to Actinic?"

If your at a loss as to why a site has suffered because of no GC when they have used Actinic for years, has good rankings, shifts a lot of orders and whose order value is around £20 , then you are the one who needs to seriously consider your career options! (only j/k there, just thought Id get revenge on ya! )

Back to being serious, if someone says its affected them, why is this person automatically disbelieved? You hardly going to get certified accounts for the last quarter posted. Can you accept that not every ecommerce site is like the ones within your sphere of experience, and that some people actually have suffered from it. There was a marked difference of run rate during the £10 deal, put it that way. And Im now missing out on free banking for the transactions placed by the £10 deal exodus who are now shopping elsewhere.
      Once again, very valid and well positioned argument (apart from the career, by day I am a mild mannered developer, by night I am an unpaid baby sitter, soothsayer (spellcheck needed) and doting hubby and would love to be a professional footballer....), I do not expect a full quarter accounts posted ( a month will do ) I was just attempting to gleam your position and you have enlightened me of which, I thank you.

However, I do stand by my original thoughts that

1 We do not have that much power with the boys in the tower
      2 I would much rather see them stabilise the software for the massive home user marker
      3 Implement GC successfully and not (as Lee pointed out) make a farce of the whole process by rushing it.

I for one still have to ask clients "what version are you using"...as each v8 has its own little PITA'S!

Kind Regards
      Daren
      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

Originally posted by los_design
        If budget was not an option then I am sure you would have switched to a bespoke solution as the SEO would not be affected if the developers knew their stuff.
        Indeed, we'd all love the bespoke solution, one day! (been saying that for a while ) and the amount of work to go from v7 to v8 puts the frighteners in me, never mind switching to an entirely new package! Yeah it can all be done, but not worth it for the GC issue alone. Doesnt stop me from being miffed at missing an oppurtunity though and doesnt stop me not wanting a repeat of the GC issue in the future, when the next mega deal launch from Big Brand Inc appears, or some other internet issue that affects some people.

I just hope that if or when that happens, those afected are given a little support from those who are apathetic about it rather than have their concerns picked apart and quashed as insignificant, or better still, Actinic do a good job of getting to the church on time in the first place (and if there was solidarity in the community, there would be a better chance of that happening than when there is a rift).

Comment

Whats your site(s) fella?
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Actinic's priorites seem to lie firmly with what their small group of developers desire, rather than the group of users for whom I am a member. At least I now know where I stand with this software supplier.
            Sorry have to disagree here, i have loads of stuff on the wish list and one item i want took over 2 years so it makes no difference. It got done because people kept asking for it.

This thread is a mere fledgling compared to many. Just because google shouts you all think you should jump. Sorry a proper PSP is the way to go's PP and GC and add ons, i am sure you will change your mind when you get fraud and charge backs

Comment

If I had little in depth knowledge of ecommerce and was a high volume box shifter of low value items having a website designed, then GC would be good advice to be given, to not be informed of it would be a black mark against the company/developer who didnt recommend it.
              Sorry i disagree again, how can you recommend something that has no history no statistics and no hard evidence.

And before you raise it, i know none of the people on this forum i have never met them face to face or spoken to them on the phone except 2 of them, one because they are my host the other because i purchased software from them.

Just because something states developer by my name does not make me different. i probably know no more than you guys and i seek help when i am stuck, i also debate subjects with other deveolpers and do not always agree but that is why i respect nearly all members of this community, i will argue and make a point but it is little more than that. To be honest it's part of the reason why i come here i learn much and impart advice i think relevant i help were i can.

Stop making crusades and stop trying to score points, that is for politicians

D

Comment

blimey Darren...bit of a man on a mission this evening?

Tracey (who keeps well out of all GC conversation!)
                Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
                  blimey Darren...bit of a man on a mission this evening?

Tracey (who keeps well out of all GC conversation!)
                  I should have kept out aswell, but i notice a few people seem to have this thought that we are something special and it pisses me off to be honest. Seems to be a common thing lately

Still luv you all though

Comment

"Developers" are plebs, "Registered Users" are where its happening....

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                      "Developers" are plebs, "Registered Users" are where its happening....
                      Aint that the truth

Comment

I should have kept out aswell, but i notice a few people seem to have this thought that we are something special and it pisses me off to be honest. Seems to be a common thing lately
                        Yep - its a better life not posting Ive found

Comment

Yep - its a better life not posting Ive found
                          Yep agreed, i decided that today after being taken to the cleaners yet again.

i will reply to the odd thread, but NEVER go anywhere near anything vaguely duplicious or state an opinion.

Comment

Yep agreed, i decided that today after being taken to the cleaners yet again
                            Been there - let people pay for advice if we are going to be called "Developers" and slagged off for every post we make - its not worth the effort

Comment

ooh the exodus begins...
                              Imagine if all developers stopped posting, we'd all end up with more work - terrible situation.
                              Now look what you've done Alan..tut tut

Comment

Imagine if all developers stopped posting
                                Or used the developers closed forum - not a bad idea me thinks.

Comment

Working...
                                X