i wish... the whole product side was updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i wish... the whole product side was updated

failing that, can duplicates take section details from there original parent?

for example, I have a variable Sup_Gen_Type which is either Other, Company, or Designer. I use this in my sections so that the products in that section can have a marker to distinguish between them.

I keep the original products in "by Brand" section so it is easy to look after and then have duplicates in "by Type".

Now, when I access the Sup_Gen_Type variable on the section page, within productlist, under "by brand" its fine (because thats the original) but in the "by type" section it returns whatever is in that section - not the same thing and as the "by type" is mixed, I cannot set it.

This is because even though its a duplicate, it looks at the duplicates section rather than the original section for its data. I know I could have this variable (and others) in the actual product, but thats somewhat annoying if you have hundreds of products under just one supplier.

I suggest that duplicates take there original parents data UNLESS a checkbox or something is checked to say otherwise.

anyhoo, just a suggestion for when v9 gets the big product overhaul.*

p.

*just made that up, but heres hoping

Cheers for this Paul. As you say, the way to do this is to set values at the product level rather than the section level - but I've referred this thread to the development team for discussion.

Comment

ok..I've read that about 6 times trying to make sure I'm understanding what you mean.

Do you mean you always want your duplicates to use the data inherited from the original's parent section and not the duplicate item's section?

I have a variabe set up similarly although I also have the place of setting set as "product" (as well as "section" although I only enter it in the section properties)

I have "use parent" as my "default" setting for the products...so I only have to enter the value at section level (well, and subsections)

That way it allows you to choose whether to let your duplicates inherit their values from their OWN section or from the original product by checking/unchecking the "modifiable in product duplicate" box.

But it still saves you having to enter them all at product level by using the "use parent" option as the "initial value"

Does that make sense?
      Tracey

Comment

Thats a good way of working around the problem and I am going to give it a go when I get back.

I will keep this suggestion as valid though as I think it should default to this behaviour and also, in your suggestion I could end up with 30+ more variables in my products (thats how many each section has).

thanks,
        paul.

Comment

Can I add my vote to this original comment

"Can duplicates take their details from the ORIGINAL parent?"

It's an "I wish" as I know they don't currently

I'm setting up delivery times in a CV and they're mostly set at section level (with the product within using "use parent")

However, these products have duplicates..and, currently, I have to set EVERY one of those duplicate's parents manually also as, by default, they use "use parent" and the dupes parent section is empty unless I fill it.
          I can't fill it at the dupe's product level because it's greyed out (I don't really want it to be modifiable in the duplicates but it's turning out that I have to set all of them anyway!)

I might as well have set it completely at product level but I was hoping, for the large multiproduct pages (which, yes, we still use!) that it'd save considerable time being able to set at section level.

Often, the original is in a SPP (with the CV set at the section level) and the dupes are either other SPPs (which I have to edit the CV in its parent too) or on a multi product page which causes me double problems because I can't edit the CV in the product at all and it's "parent" covers a variety of products (and so different delivery times)

There needs to be a checkbox, with the "use parent" to tell Actinic to force the original's value onto the duplicates.

Hope that makes sense!
          Tracey

Comment

actually, having spent the morning going through entering at section level (about 1/3 of the site, anyway) I've decided that "use parent" and duplicates are a crap combination and I'm going to re-do at product level.
            Even with the ones I'll have to re-do, it'll still be quicker than having to put values in 3, 4, 5 or more times for the same product (which is ridiculous given that the dupes are supposed to be the same as the originals)

coffee time, I think...then we'll start over
            Tracey

Comment

Working...
            X