"revert to custom settings"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"revert to custom settings"

ok..I'm a big fan of the "revert to factory settings" but is there any way we could specify custom settings to be able to restore to..kind of like a mini-backup, I suppose.

It's all very well, if you're fiddling with a fairly standard layout and something goes wrong...doing a revert to factory settings is great. But it'd be even better to be able to tell Actinic that a modified layout is a custom "default" so that, if you mess it up, you can restore to that previous layout (this kinda leads on from Darrens' "restore last good configuration" too)

It would save having to import a complete snapshot to fix one layout/setting.

I know there are ways to do it...make a copy of the layout, copy and paste a whole layout (or the section you're messing with) into notepad or similar as a "back up"..but it would be so much easier just to "save" the custom setting and have it there to go back to if it all goes wrong.

Just my opinion anyway
    Tracey

if would be even nicer if the UNDO button worked as this would save all this faffing about with restore to factory or taking constant backups.

UNDO also then needs to be programmable so you can choose how many undo's to save, ie 3 or 30 or 300

Comment

LOL..I'm just imagining 300 undos!
      but yes..9 time out of 10 when I want to undo something, the undo option is greyed out!

I think Actinic has short-term memory problems
      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
        I think Actinic has short-term memory problems
        Sorry, what did you say?

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
          Sorry, what did you say?
          it's deaf too?
          mind you...it often doesn't listen to me so perhaps it is!

Or maybe it's just me?
          No one at home seems to listen to me either
          Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by budgetbumps
            No one at home seems to listen to me either
            Do they ever get chance to say anything, i reckon you're a right chatterbox. Do you sit chuntering at your PC like i do?

Comment

Undo's are a great idea but to have many you'd need history too - as in PS.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                Do you sit chuntering at your PC like i do?
                I am glued to my laptop 24/7 it seems...kids have to drag me away

It might surprise you to know that I'm actually quite quiet in real life...I make up for it here
                Tracey

Comment

Undo only seems to work if you haven't changed layout, which is a bit pants.

Comment

yes..or if you haven't previewed (ie made Actinic's brain work)

bummer to do something, preview it (properly...as in generate offline page preview) go back to the layout...and be unable to undo
                    Tracey

Comment

Standard DB operation though, write to the database as it's done. You are effectively working in access when you do these things. The revert is easy if you haven't overwritten the current record etc. Many things you do on an access DB are permanent, there and then as they are completed.

Comment

I see how this might work - you could set a restore point - at which point Actinic makes a copy of the current db in a safe place, and you can bring layouts back from this point.

I'll circulate this to the team.

Comment

Working...
                        X