Version 9 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Version 9 Features

I know its early days (and probably confidential), but is there a feature list of the proposed changes and additions in version 9 yet?

Our software developers are suggesting that we use their solution to tie in our E-commerce with our in-house MOTO system and as Actinic v8 is 80% right for us I wanted to see the v9 feature list before making the decision.

Richard

Not a chance Richard, they keep it under lock and key as their enhancements wow the world and they need to be kept top secret. They have committed to correct VAT in V9 and i think GC will be a certainty along with snapshot options and SQL somewhere available, apart from that, it's just guesses. They prefer to alienate us, not get us excited.

Comment

I am pretty sure I saw in a thead from chris that a whole rethink on the entire checkout was pretty likely.

p.

Comment

I suspect that what we will see in the first place is a lot of structural changes rather than ground breaking new features.

Don't get me wrong, undoubtedly Actinic will include new features, they would have to in order for it to be a new version. However to many of us they will possibly be logical progressions whereas we know the need for a bit of root and branch work.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
          Not a chance Richard, they keep it under lock and key as their enhancements wow the world and they need to be kept top secret. They have committed to correct VAT in V9 and i think GC will be a certainty along with snapshot options and SQL somewhere available, apart from that, it's just guesses. They prefer to alienate us, not get us excited.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but wow the world - hardly!
          I'm a new user of actinic and the newest v8 version is already lacking in features compared to many free CMS & shopping carts around already, like mysql support. The fact that half of my time using actinic is waiting for the program to process and respond says it all so far for me. Unfortunately, I'm working for a company that has been successful using actinic so I don't have much choice but to get to grips with it... for now.

Comment

I'm waiting for the day that Adobe decide that they really should have an out-the-box ecommerce product.

Hey maybe they'll buy up Actinic the same way they bought Macromedia

With the might of Adobe behind them maybe we could have bug free upgrades...
            Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Spitos
              been successful using actinic
              That is why most of us are still here - warts and all. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Orchid
                ...With the might of Adobe behind them maybe we could have bug free upgrades...
                But at 10 times the price no doubt!

Comment

Actinic's at £468.82 for catalog is not that cheap as web development software goes, in comparison - Adobe Dreamweaver retails at £393.62.

Now they don't do the same things (hence using Actinic) - However... if adobe released a product that did do the same things...

I think I'd move along... (Sorry Actinic)
                  Wayne Theisinger

The Web's just settling in. We got the tech, now let's put up something that matters.

Comment

They prefer to alienate us, not get us excited
                    heh, now this, is funny.

Comment

From what I've read here and there I expect improvements in the checkout area, product pricing and the design interface. I think they should stop mucking about with v8 and get on with it. Perhaps that's why v802 hasn't appeared?

What I'd really like to see is online customer account creation, order tracking and order history etc. But I shouldn't hold my breath - big leap from offline database to online and offline database. I believe I read CBarling say that they were aiming at online/offline hybrid by about v250.5.2

Comment

Originally posted by bentleybloke
                        But I shouldn't hold my breath - big leap from offline database to online and offline database.
                        keep holding that breath.

this is a feature of an upcoming plugin from yours truly.

Comment

hybrid?? - what two databases, one on the server and one in local environment, am I the only one see's this as leading to problems??

Have I misunderstood? I can understand moving to a network database such as mySql for the multi-user version and hence the others for good upgrade path. But what is the rational behind this "hybrid"?
                          Wayne Theisinger

Comment

8.5.2 is certainly taking its time, there is one of 3 reasons for this IMO:

a) They can ill afford any update being released like 8.5.1 and in it's 3 incarnations ever again, so they are thoroughly testing with some external testers this time.
                            b) Something big is on the way (GC is my prediction)
                            c) Both of the above.

I still don't get the secrecy, they could at least give a taster, in fact i find it quite off-putting tbh, so 1990's. It's almost as though it is perceived that all other packages are waiting for this one, to give them ideas on what to do next - i do not see this as the case at all, much the opposite in fact.

I guess it's just another rung on the communication ladder they need to climb. All we know will be sorted is long standing bugs which are years and years old - it's hardly a great selling point.

What is needed is a wow factor and injection of some good feeling about the product, a year of too much bad and not enough good press, we need a triple choc cookie, not a rich tea biscuit.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                              we need a triple choc cookie

woohooo!
                              I'm in
                              Tracey

Comment

Working...
                              X