Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

additional files or not

Hi,

As a quicky for v9, could you make it so that if any file is referenced it gets uploaded?

I have a file ref called "MyBigFile". In that, I have a filename for an image or pdf or something.

If I want to upload that file I must add it to the additional files or link to a file using src="mybigfile". There are quite a lot of instances whereby you might not want to link to it directly within your site but still need it to be uploaded.

I, for one, need it for uploading product images that are controlled by a script so do not want each one visible or downloaded by the browser until needed.

If I am referencing it (including in a php block), surely it should know I want it on the server for one reason or another? Why else would I reference a filename?

Thanks,
    Paul.

i second that request, whole heartedly.

or at the very least:

'actinic has detected a referenced file, add it to the list?'

Comment

Add my vote

Comment

Deffo for me too or at the very least give us the ability to specify a folder and say send all of the contents of it up to the site. These are the kind of things that should be happening as standard now.

Comment

mind, this sort of things could be problematic, so i suggest a simple filtering system: for exe, bat and com files that sort of things.

like 'only upload jpgs and pdfs please' type of options.

specifying a folder is a purely fabulous idea.

Comment

You can trick Actinic into uploading an image file via

<script>src="bigfile.jpg"</script>

Unfortunately this seems to only work for certain file types - it wouldn't upload a .pdf for example.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I had loads of photos in my original site, before using Actinic, which I left on the server. When I started using Actinic I had not found the 'Additional Files' list so FTP'd any additional pics straight into the new site and moved the original files into the Actinic folder. They all work of course but I would like to get rid of the rudundant ones - but I have no easy way of telling which were sent by Actinic, which were FTP'd and those that were already there other than to look at each product and see if they are referenced in the text. Slow and boring examining every product - so a simple method to 'include a folder' in which you put all the images has to be worthwhile.
              David
              parterredesign.co.uk

Comment

The way images and files get uploaded to the web is that all the generated pages are parsed and then all the referenced files are uploaded to the web with the pages. I guess maybe if a file is within PHP it gets missed. I'll mention this to the team.

Comment

That makes sense as I guess you are parsing it for the src="" html tags hence why when I use name="" type tags nothing happens. If its used in any other way it just wouldnt be seen by actinic.

So maybe it can either be changed entirely so its not parsed afterwards but a list made at time of page creation or if it must be parsed, give us another way of tagging them (W3C Safe!) or again, as others have suggested, using the additional files by including whole directories (and sub-directories).

Thanks,
                  Paul.

Comment

Working...
                  X