Update 1 product or page instantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update 1 product or page instantly

I know I have mentioned this before but uploading a single change such as a price alteration takes 90 minutes in pre upload checks.

Could we have an update button on each product, page or section that we just click and it uploads just the files needed to do the change without any checking. We do a full upload most days so checking all the pages every time are not necessary for small changes. we just want the ability to make small changes easily.

We have one page see here http://www.qualitysilver.co.uk/acata...s-Instock.html where we have to update this list through out the day. Because we are unable to tolerate a 90 minute upload each time our stock changes. We have had to resort to having an external page loaded in via an Iframe which we change outside of Actinic. This change is done and uploaded in under 1 minute.
    Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
    Zirconium Rings
    Damascus Steel Rings

Your wish will be granted in a couple of weeks when the latest version of V9 is released as it has a single page update function.

Comment

in fact this could be the killer feature for v9 that will make upgrading a must for site owners. In one stroke the biggest limitation of actinic will be removed and make it far more competitive IMO

Comment

I have been playing with V9 but keep putting off the upgrade. This will be the deciding factor to make me upgrade.

Many thanks for the info.

Kind regards

Jason
        Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
        Zirconium Rings
        Damascus Steel Rings

Comment

I think it will be the deciding factor for many people. Up until this there was not much point upgrading really but this will put actinic on par with the updatability of database driven websites.

Comment

I hope this will be the wow factor I have spoken about many times before. This could certainly be a massive hit, I sincerely hope it hits the floor running and all scenarios have been thought about.

Comment

if they had done nothing else with v9 except this then it would have been an instant hit. Everything else is window dressing really. Let's hope it does for v9 what the marketing features did for v8

Comment

Assuming it works this is be a quantum leap forward for designers (tweaking outer layouts for example and needing to test a change live) and shop owners alike - providing an ability to respond quickly to site changes, product alterations etc without sitting around eating cake.

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                  sitting around eating cake.
                  You always mention cake!!!
                  www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

I'd like to know more details of how this may work before I shout for joy There can be so many depending factors. What page changes are we talking about, just a price update and description change or similar presumably? There must be some caveats...

Comment

Updates to stock control are what I am waiting to see if it does it.

Comment

I'm wondering how the changes are implemented.
                        I've often wondered if they are switching to a model whereby after any "page changing" event they update a table flag to state "this page needs uploading" thereby bypassing the need for the time checking which files to upload during the upload process normal.
                        If this is the case I am keen to see how they are going to avoid or reduce the necessary processing time for each of these "events" e.g. changing overall layout on store with 50'000+ pages still requires some program grunt to effect those changes.

We wait with anticipation..........
                        Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                        Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                        SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

I also hope it works but its something BIG to look forward to. I imagine global changes will still trigger a complete upload and its confined to product data stuff which is good.

Comment

'd like to know more details of how this may work before I shout for joy
                            When you choose to upload a specific page, it generates the HTML just for that page, and also generates the *.cat file for that page and uploads them both (and any images used etc.)

It doesn't automatically upload any pages containing duplicates of that product, and also doesn't automatically upload any pages that contain components whose pricing will have changed due to being linked to associated products that have changed. However, Actinic warns you of any duplicates/components affected and tells you where to find them.

It also has to regenerate the search index for the entire site when you upload just one page. We did try and get it just updating the search index, but this wasn't reliable enough. So if you have over 10,000 products it will take a few seconds to generate the search index.

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken View Post
                              So if you have over 10,000 products it will take a few seconds to generate the search index.
                              To be honest i doubt this is going to be an issue Chris, when you have that many products then losing a few seconds generating the search will more than be offset by the reduction in time of upload

Nice work

Comment

Working...
                              X