How would you evolve Actinic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NRasool View Post
    I haven't seen a s/ware is both an windows application but also could be controlled from the web fully. It would be a killer app
    I've proofed a concept, using .NET, of running a client app which syncs and controls a web site, via web services.
    Client app required login/security etc etc
    Another advantage of exposing some web services means greater data proliferation.
    The development required to turn this into a full-blown ecommerce App is another thing entirely.....

Phil Rothwell introduced a great opportunity for developers wanting to leverage the possibilities of web services here - thewebservice

Anyway, look forward to the blog.
    Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
    Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
    SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

nice one ferg.

i have also proof of concepted a desktop app, that controls an unmentionable alternative open source cart.

smart use of google gears makes offlining a site a very real possibility.

The truth of course, is that actinic's desktop range can never be a truly dynamic experience. The desktop application metaphor is a dying concept. The disctinction between online and offline is also blurred. We can now, have our cake and eat it.

Hybrid offline and online stores that can operate in both modes, are going to be commonplace.

gmail, for example, can be used offline. and yet, its a website. cute huh?

Comment

The truth of course, is that actinic's desktop range can never be a truly dynamic experience. The desktop application metaphor is a dying concept. The disctinction between online and offline is also blurred. We can now, have our cake and eat it.
        To me there will be people who always want desktop application, fearing that total online is frighting. One thing good about Actinic, is what happens if you server goes down, you can easily upload to another server, (shame if you desktop pc crashes and you have no backup)

I need to investigate Google Gear, but funny enough I just doing a prototype of an hybrid CMS systemm its been on the back burner

Comment

The desktop application metaphor is a dying concept
          This is very true. Soon the desktop will be gone and all we will have are low spec work stations that run everything on the web. Google Docs and Gears are prime examples. The smart phone/ mobile aps and netbooks are the way forward as more people go on the move and want the ability to run things mobile. Web based eshops are the future now IMO as the advantage actinic had of static html pages has gone and database sites rank as well if not better than actinic.

I dont think its a question of where Actinic should go next its a question of where the web is going and looking there.

Comment

Sorry to **** on peoples parties, the desktop application and pc will be here for a very long time in the immortal words of G FACT!!!!

Ok i accept that things will change and you will be working with alot of applications that are online.

As for actinic, I like actinic because i take it with me, unfortunately the uk's infrastructure still does not allow me to get a good connection to work on a website that is purely online. And lets be honest there are alot of countries out there worse than ours

So how do i manage my connections at this moment
            1) wireless connection @ home and the office
            2) Dingle when im out - still alot of black spots
            3) wireless hotspots - only normally found in major city centers or airports
            4) dialup with mobile phone - again to many black spots

At least with actinic i can work on a site offline and when i do get a connection i can update it again.

What would i like, a simple live stock control system, better shipping, single use coupons and Google Checkout. The API is a probably the best thing but this is not important for me but is for many.

my two pennith

Comment

You need to get yourself a good smartphone

Comment

Originally posted by plantshop View Post
                I dont think its a question of where Actinic should go next its a question of where the web is going and looking there.
                The big boys are buying into cloud computing in a BIG way.
                There are plans for a massive data centre from Microsoft just a stones throw from where I sit.

With Cisco and Google et all planning massive cloud computing centres across the globe the investment they make is bound to shape the direction the web is going......
                Fergus Weir - teclan ltd
                Ecommerce Digital Marketing

SellerDeck Responsive Web Design

SellerDeck Hosting
                SellerDeck Digital Marketing

Comment

It does not matter what phone i have, if i dont have a signal then the internet might aswell be nothing more than a word.

Comment

You need to get yourself a good smartphone
                    iPhone by any chance?

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

iPhone by any chance
                      Blackberry Curve actually

Comment

As Furgus says things are changing very fast. there was a time when I would not even consider online apps because connections were so slow and Actinic seemed very fast in comparison but internet speeds have increased and today for example I have just fitted an iPlate and my broadband speed has increased significatly. Using google docs is now as fast as word on my desktop.

Comment

Thought I would hop in here, I love conversations revolving around future tech. Taking Actinic hat off for a moment

This is very true. Soon the desktop will be gone and all we will have are low spec work stations that run everything on the web. Google Docs and Gears are prime examples.
                          Interesting thoughts, I agree to a point but I think your a little off kilter. The future is nothing to do with the platform its all about the data. We are all online more, phone, laptop, tv, fridge the future is about data portability, semantic data.

Putting things into the cloud has just opened up a secondary tech front, it doesn't mean the end of the desktop at all, its an extension of it. Gears (please note the lack of 'Google' as its been donated) is a great example of semantic data being able to sync at different levels.

On the argument we will all be using low end machines, the future really will be around different horses for different courses. Low end netbooks are great while traveling, surfing and general office functions. However you want CPU and Memory intensive applications you need that locally, unless coverage, bandwidth, packet loss and WAN tech gets significantly better nothing is changing.

Looking at current trends:

1. Netbooks are outselling laptops and PCs at almost 2 to 1. 9 of the top 10 laptops sold through Amazon are netbooks.
                          2. High end, high spec machines (even in this economy) continue to sell at record pace.

Netbooks and Slugs are great, however the future for these will focus around less is more, more power, less consumption. This is happening right now, look at the CPU market, almost no major speed increases for a year however Intel are getting better performance out of the same chips. There is no concept of dumbing down, but it will be interesting to see if Moore's law is still applicable.

Going back to the symantic data concept, the future for Netbooks is just a natural evolution. Googles cloud based OS 'gOS' is a great example, it actually runs in two places locally and in the cloud, there is still a 'desktop' it just syncs your data while online.

Personally I think the concept of a select number of providers owning all your data is terrifying, the cloud providers have absolutely no plan to open up. This was demonstrated at this weeks 'Open Cloud' event. IBM (who probably the most innovative company in the world right now) are pushing this semantic data concept; Amazon, Google, Yahoo have completely ignored it, and who can blame them, monetizing all this free info is no1 priority.
                          Benjamin Dyer
                          CEO - SellerDeck Ecommerce Software for SME's

SellerDeck is the new name for Actinic Desktop

Have you tried searching the Knowledge Base?

Comment

I imagine 99% of Actinic's client base do not give a hoot about the technology used and to the vast majority the cloud is the fluffy white stuff bringing rain.

When I first started with Actinic I chose it over other carts as it was a brand name, came in a box, had support and proper documentation. As a site owner this afforded a level of assurance. Whether this is real or not the option to buy Actinic rather than pfaff around with CrapCart and dodgy permissions, server settings etc was a definite bonus. You install the CD, add a few details and hit upload. Job done.

The future needs to afford the same comfort level which Actinic has become known for. Whether this is local .MDB files or remote SQL tables really does not matter to most users. Ease of use is one of Actinic's strongest features (as well as the real company for support) and this should be consolidated.

Bikster
                            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Does anyone know the ratio of new Express users compared to new Catalog users? This would provide some insight into the whole online cloud platform. (granted the ability to change Express is limited). Looking at the frequency of threads it is either very low or the platform is working perfectly and requires no support.

Bikster
                              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

The future is nothing to do with the platform its all about the data
                                Thats exactly what i am trying to say. For data read ecommerce web shop because thats all a website is at the end of the day.

Some people will always need high spec PCs but as you say the market is showing people buying low end machines and big players providing the apps on line so that to me is the future. BUT I dont think anyone knows the future so each person needs to decide what is best for them.

Comment

Working...
                                X