No announcement yet.

Api

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in an ideal world actinic would have stuff like 1stoporders, reviews without us having to pay more, but in the real world they are always going to be 2 - 3 years behind.
    Maybe. I'd like to think that Actinic are capable of being ahead of the curve rather than 2-3 years behind. The trouble is that the more you accept it as a way of operating, and the easier you make it as a way of functioning (with an API) that the more you depend on it.

Depending on 3rd parties in the short term and then integrating it later is a bad solution for everyone. It means Actinic aren't looking forward to ways of differentiating and improving the software and taking control of their own destiny. It means the software becomes a follower rather than a leader. It means users have to get used to two different ways of doing things, often with the 3rd party version being poorly thought through and implemented. It also means users get the features late as often the 3rd parties are implementing features that are being lamented as lacking in the forum.

An API that can be used internally to help deliver new features without having to mess about with existing code is a good idea. Using one as a crutch to avoid doing necessary work in a timely manner isn't.

Mike

PS. I'd like to add that this comment is just my view on two different ways that Actinic can develop and potentialy use an API. It shouldn't be taken as a criticism of Actinic as I don't know how they intend to use it and that's not how I meant it. I really want to make this clear as there's been quite a lot of open debate about features and functions which could easily be taken the wrong way by people not aware of the background.
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot View Post
      Maybe. I'd like to think that Actinic are capable of being ahead of the curve rather than 2-3 years behind. The trouble is that the more you accept it as a way of operating, and the easier you make it as a way of functioning (with an API) that the more you depend on it.

Depending on 3rd parties in the short term and then integrating it later is a bad solution for everyone. It means Actinic aren't looking forward to ways of differentiating and improving the software and taking control of their own destiny. It means the software becomes a follower rather than a leader. It means users have to get used to two different ways of doing things, often with the 3rd party version being poorly thought through and implemented. It also means users get the features late as often the 3rd parties are implementing features that are being lamented as lacking in the forum.

An API that can be used internally to help deliver new features without having to mess about with existing code is a good idea. Using one as a crutch to avoid doing necessary work in a timely manner isn't.

Mike
      This sums it up for me in a nutshell, thanks Mike

Comment

Mike the beauty of the API is that Actinic can't satisfy everyone's requirements without massive cost to them or the user.

Nobody would accuse the iphone as being stuck in the dark ages, yet it's the available apps that make it and other smart phones what they are today.

I think the API is a thing to look forward to, I know it's going to be a few years off, but hopefully you'll get the likes of Gabe, Andy (codepath), Jan and the like looking at the wishlist thread and knocking up a plugin for a nominal fee.

Army Gore-tex
        Winter Climbing Mitts
        webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
        Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
          Mike the beauty of the API is that Actinic can't satisfy everyone's requirements without massive cost to them or the user.

Nobody would accuse the iphone as being stuck in the dark ages, yet it's the available apps that make it and other smart phones what they are today.

I think the API is a thing to look forward to, I know it's going to be a few years off, but hopefully you'll get the likes of Gabe, Andy (codepath), Jan and the like looking at the wishlist thread and knocking up a plugin for a nominal fee.
          Not really the same Mr Rich

The iphone is a solid product that can not be changed - so improvements and enhancements need to be made by using apps.

Actinic is a piece of software that should be driven by innovation and improvement through customer feedback and technological advances

Take AP for example - dont get me wrong here i like AP and i use it but when everyone was screaming for GC actinic developed AP?

API's could be an advantage to Actinic but as mike said, if it is intended to be used to plug the gaps that Actinic themselves should have done then the value of the core product will become worthless as the true cost will be much greater in the long run.

What could actinic of improved in the 2+ years until it comes to light

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
            The iphone is a solid product
            LOL Not necessarilly true. There are plenty of people out there that are dissatisfied with it and I'm waiting to pick mine up from O2 because it fried itself the other week.

I'm not suggesting that Actinic build the API into the software, sit back and do no more development, but anyone suggesting that because they are introducing it means they won't be focusing on anything themselves is perhaps a little blinkered.

Actinic is, on the whole, a good product that's why we're all using it. Okay, there are ares that we all want to see developed and/or improved, but priorities will vary. That's why I think the API will be a great addition.

*End of Actinic Sales Pitch

Army Gore-tex
            Winter Climbing Mitts
            webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
            Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Actinic don't need to satisfy everyone's requirements. Just the standard ones that would satisfy 80% of the market are more than enough for them to remain the market leader with high levels of user satisfaction.

All I want as a user is an ecommerce platform that does the things it's supposed to, does them well, and releases the new functionality in a timely manner (ie at the same time or before competitive applications).

My own view is that the only people who want to see an API are developers so they can plug into actinic and make it do weird and wonderful things. For me this isn't necessary.

The iphone is a completely different kettle of fish. It's a platform (just like a PC or xbox). Actinic is an application. The two are completely different.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by webD View Post
                LOL Not necessarilly true. There are plenty of people out there that are dissatisfied with it and I'm waiting to pick mine up from O2 because it fried itself the other week.
                I ment physically Rich

Comment

My own view is that the only people who want to see an API are developers so they can plug into actinic and make it do weird and wonderful things. For me this isn't necessary.
                  maybe, maybe not, admittedly its the developers who are the ones who would be writing stuff

personally I'd like to see it so we can add more functionality - stuff that i suspect actinic will never inbuild for example

Modern software is going more and more down this route, take a popular blogging app. You install the software, then as a user you can add themes, widgets etc etc to get what you want, all these are installed via the interface. You can visit the developers website and donate if you choose. Your blog will be fine straight out of the box,and will be quite functional but if you spend abit of time adding stuff you can get some amazing results.

Its a good example of how API has really grown a product.

Comment

It'd be interesting to know what users who dont use the forum want added to the software abilities.

I bet theres a lot of prosessing and back end stuff that'd be asked for.

Fergus put a post (its bookmarked somewhere, it was too much for me to get into at the time) up ages ago telling me how to sort out a re-order system for products and to be honest I cant believe that no-one has been pushing for this to be added as standard.

One gets tired suggesting things like that as you become certain that they never get added and in the end you're wasting your own time and even giving yourself false hope that one day Actinic will have such things.

A biggie for many will be the stock level improvement but even at this stage it looks like Actinic arent quite sure how or when it actually works. It just dosent give me much confidence when I see that. Folks need stuff to look forward too.
                    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

the biggest problem i see G is the platform it is built on, this is limiting Actinics expansion IMHO but what do i know

Comment

The main benefit of an API is that is can be used to modularise an application, once this is done, either Actinic for a third party can add functionality to the application more easily. For example, if Actinic for example want to add to the application at the moment, the core product has to be changed, which is complex and there fore time comsuming in both development and testing terms. When an API is avalailable, additional functionality can be added as a small new module, which should be easier to develop and to test.

Using an API also allows people to develop plugins that have less product knowledge, so for example someone could write something to update an order without having to know the full details of the underlying database, it's safer as well because if people use the API they shouldn't be able to break Actinic, the API should protect the store.

I think that it's a good thing.

To answer Mikes point, I don't believe that Actinic leave functionality out of the product because a third party has already developed something similar. Version 8 and 9 both included features that made parts of my plugins obsolete and Version 10 is the same. The same goes for plugins from other developers. Actinic is never going to have everything included in the main application because every persons requirements are different.

Regards,
                        Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                        Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                        A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                        Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                        Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                        Multichannel order processing
                        Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
                        X