Character Recognition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Character Recognition

How do we improve other language character recognition within Actinic?

There may well be a tweak for this?

Example... Poznań.

This can wreck some addresses if you don't notice them.
    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

out of interest, where are you finding problems with this?
    We don't notice any issues with address/foreign characters in Actinic
    Tracey

Comment

In the customers address form.

The characters are recognised as they should be on the same pc in emails or words docs etc.

The above example shows up as Pozna&#324.

Some Czech Republic and Turkish addresses can be similar, as well as Greek (I think) amongst others.
      Football Heaven

Comment

hmm..strange, we don't have this issue here
        Will investigate though to check.
        Tracey

Comment

Just to clarify... "customers address form"...is where/which bit?
          Tracey

Comment

ok, curious
            I've gone back through several thousand orders and found only one instance of this, in a Customer Name field.
            I've plenty (hundreds) of other orders using 'special' or foreign characters that display them perfectly fine though, even in the same field.

I wonder if it's more customer browser/OS related than Actinic/our end?
            Tracey

Comment

Just in the spaces where the customer fill in their address.

Between that and recording them within Actinic they get Englishised.

One in particular about a month ago looked as though Stevie Wonder had typed it in on a broken glass braille keyboard. I'll see if I can find it and therefore hopefully find which characters were invalid a bit later.
              Football Heaven

Comment

Ok, I lied (it seems!)
                We have had others although few.
                If there's a list of 'special characters' that Actinic uses to display, then, from my brief search, it needs to add

ć
                Ş
                İ

any more?
                Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
                  from my brief search

AHEM!

Anyway, yeah the n thingy from the initial post. The Greek bloke might be a good person to ask on this, if anyone still has contact with him. Hes a nice chap I'm sure he'd comment if he could.

Can they be added within the database someplace?
                  Football Heaven

Comment

try searching for "charset" or character set, i suspect this might point you in the right direction

Comment

FTR, one of mine was Turkish and others were Hungarian

Just so Actinic know where to look, when they fix it
                      Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                        try searching for "charset" or character set, i suspect this might point you in the right direction
                        I disagree.
                        I don't think it's a website issue, it's a local issue, Actinic or otherwise
                        Tracey

Comment

It does sound like a local problem such as a font without the full character support, as not all fonts support the whole range of accented characters some fail quite badly. The basic system fonts should support the full character range though.
                          Steve Griggs.

"People in business often miss opportunities, mainly because they usually arrive dressed in overalls and looking like work."

www.kitchenwareonline.com
                          www.microwave-repair.co.uk

Comment

I'm totally fed up with this issue now.

Two this week, names and house numbers (replaced by x's) removed for obvious reasons...

Centrum xx/xx
                            Veľké Kapu?any

and

Kirazlı Mah.karani Sok.bayramoğlu Sitesi A-x Blok D-xx
                            Istanbul - Bağcılar
                            Turkey

Hopefully Actinic will find time to read this thread in the next couple of months or so.
                            Football Heaven

Comment

I suspect the problem probably is in the charset definition as Jo said earlier.

Right now, you're defining the charset as

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />

From what I can see ISO-8859-1 defines a character set for western eauropean characters and only allows entities up to #255. It doesn't support any extended characters above that.

To support other characters such as Polish, Turkish, etc you might be best using the unicode character set by setting

<meta http-equiv=""Content-Type: content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

This would support the characters below.

I don't know if there are any other related problems at work here but this would seem to be main one.

Mike

Hmm. OK. Not sure on this one where the problem is. The forum also uses <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" /> but is converting the &#xxx entries into the characters in the table below. I've inserted a space to stop them showing as the character.

Hmm2. A quick search shows that using utf breaks the Ł symbol and there's been muttering from gabe about the Actinic database using ASCII rather than UTF. If so, then this sounds like a lost cause until Actinic can fix it.

Having said that though, there was on user who seemed to be on top of it. http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=27769

Characters in the Unicode "Latin Extended-A" block
                              The following chart gives a list of the characters in the Unicode "Latin Extended-A" block (which contains almost all of the non-ISO-8859-1 characters included in the ISO-8859-2, ISO-8859-3, ISO-8859-4, ISO-8859-9, and ISO-8859-15 character sets), along with the corresponding HTML numeric entity codes as they could be used in recent and future HTML browsers:

See also the official Unicode documentation on these characters (including a PDF file which includes a glyph chart that shows how these characters should be displayed).
                              HTML
                              Char. Description
                              ----- ___________
                              &# 256; Ā Latin Capital Letter A With Macron (Capital A Macron)
                              &# 257; ā Latin Small Letter A With Macron (Small A Macron)
                              &# 258; Ă Latin Capital Letter A With Breve (Capital A Breve)
                              &# 259; ă Latin Small Letter A With Breve (Small A Breve)
                              &# 260; Ą Latin Capital Letter A With Ogonek (Capital A Ogonek)
                              &# 261; ą Latin Small Letter A With Ogonek (Small A Ogonek)
                              &# 262; Ć Latin Capital Letter C With Acute (Capital C Acute)
                              &# 263; ć Latin Small Letter C With Acute (Small C Acute)
                              &# 264; Ĉ Latin Capital Letter C With Circumflex (Capital C Circumflex)
                              &# 265; ĉ Latin Small Letter C With Circumflex (Small C Circumflex)
                              &# 266; Ċ Latin Capital Letter C With Dot Above (Capital C Dot)
                              &# 267; ċ Latin Small Letter C With Dot Above (Small C Dot)
                              &# 268; Č Latin Capital Letter C With Caron (Capital C Hacek)
                              &# 269; č Latin Small Letter C With Caron (Small C Hacek)
                              &# 270; Ď Latin Capital Letter D With Caron (Capital D Hacek)
                              &# 271; ď Latin Small Letter D With Caron (Small D Hacek)
                              &# 272; Đ Latin Capital Letter D With Stroke (Capital D Bar)
                              &# 273; đ Latin Small Letter D With Stroke (Small D Bar)
                              &# 274; Ē Latin Capital Letter E With Macron (Capital E Macron)
                              &# 275; ē Latin Small Letter E With Macron (Small E Macron)
                              &# 276; Ĕ Latin Capital Letter E With Breve (Capital E Breve)
                              &# 277; ĕ Latin Small Letter E With Breve (Small E Breve)
                              &# 278; Ė Latin Capital Letter E With Dot Above (Capital E Dot)
                              &# 279; ė Latin Small Letter E With Dot Above (Small E Dot)
                              &# 280; Ę Latin Capital Letter E With Ogonek (Capital E Ogonek)
                              &# 281; ę Latin Small Letter E With Ogonek (Small E Ogonek)
                              &# 282; Ě Latin Capital Letter E With Caron (Capital E Hacek)
                              &# 283; ě Latin Small Letter E With Caron (Small E Hacek)
                              &# 284; Ĝ Latin Capital Letter G With Circumflex (Capital G Circumflex)
                              &# 285; ĝ Latin Small Letter G With Circumflex (Small G Circumflex)
                              &# 286; Ğ Latin Capital Letter G With Breve (Capital G Breve)
                              &# 287; ğ Latin Small Letter G With Breve (Small G Breve)
                              &# 288; Ġ Latin Capital Letter G With Dot Above (Capital G Dot)
                              &# 289; ġ Latin Small Letter G With Dot Above (Small G Dot)
                              &# 290; Ģ Latin Capital Letter G With Cedilla (Capital G Cedilla)
                              &# 291; ģ Latin Small Letter G With Cedilla (Small G Cedilla)
                              &# 292; Ĥ Latin Capital Letter H With Circumflex (Capital H Circumflex)
                              &# 293; ĥ Latin Small Letter H With Circumflex (Small H Circumflex)
                              &# 294; Ħ Latin Capital Letter H With Stroke (Capital H Bar)
                              &# 295; ħ Latin Small Letter H With Stroke (Small H Bar)
                              &# 296; Ĩ Latin Capital Letter I With Tilde (Capital I Tilde)
                              &# 297; ĩ Latin Small Letter I With Tilde (Small I Tilde)
                              &# 298; Ī Latin Capital Letter I With Macron (Capital I Macron)
                              &# 299; ī Latin Small Letter I With Macron (Small I Macron)
                              &# 300; Ĭ Latin Capital Letter I With Breve (Capital I Breve)
                              &# 301; ĭ Latin Small Letter I With Breve (Small I Breve)
                              &# 302; Į Latin Capital Letter I With Ogonek (Capital I Ogonek)
                              &# 303; į Latin Small Letter I With Ogonek (Small I Ogonek)
                              &# 304; İ Latin Capital Letter I With Dot Above (Capital I Dot)
                              &# 305; ı Latin Small Letter Dotless I
                              &# 306; IJ Latin Capital Ligature IJ (Capital I J)
                              &# 307; ij Latin Small Ligature IJ (Small I J)
                              &# 308; Ĵ Latin Capital Letter J With Circumflex (Capital J Circumflex)
                              &# 309; ĵ Latin Small Letter J With Circumflex (Small J Circumflex)
                              &# 310; Ķ Latin Capital Letter K With Cedilla (Capital K Cedilla)
                              &# 311; ķ Latin Small Letter K With Cedilla (Small K Cedilla)
                              &# 312; ĸ Latin Small Letter Kra
                              &# 313; Ĺ Latin Capital Letter L With Acute (Capital L Acute)
                              &# 314; ĺ Latin Small Letter L With Acute (Small L Acute)
                              &# 315; Ļ Latin Capital Letter L With Cedilla (Capital L Cedilla)
                              &# 316; ļ Latin Small Letter L With Cedilla (Small L Cedilla)
                              &# 317; Ľ Latin Capital Letter L With Caron (Capital L Hacek)
                              &# 318; ľ Latin Small Letter L With Caron (Small L Hacek)
                              &# 319; Ŀ Latin Capital Letter L With Middle Dot
                              &# 320; ŀ Latin Small Letter L With Middle Dot
                              &# 321; Ł Latin Capital Letter L With Stroke (Capital L Slash)
                              &# 322; ł Latin Small Letter L With Stroke (Small L Slash)
                              &# 323; Ń Latin Capital Letter N With Acute (Capital N Acute)
                              &# 324; ń Latin Small Letter N With Acute (Small N Acute)
                              &# 325; Ņ Latin Capital Letter N With Cedilla (Capital N Cedilla)
                              &# 326; ņ Latin Small Letter N With Cedilla (Small N Cedilla)
                              &# 327; Ň Latin Capital Letter N With Caron (Capital N Hacek)
                              &# 328; ň Latin Small Letter N With Caron (Small N Hacek)
                              &# 329; ʼn Latin Small Letter N Preceded By Apostrophe (Small Apostrophe N)
                              &# 330; Ŋ Latin Capital Letter Eng
                              &# 331; ŋ Latin Small Letter Eng
                              &# 332; Ō Latin Capital Letter O With Macron (Capital O Macron)
                              &# 333; ō Latin Small Letter O With Macron (Small O Macron)
                              &# 334; Ŏ Latin Capital Letter O With Breve (Capital O Breve)
                              &# 335; ŏ Latin Small Letter O With Breve (Small O Breve)
                              &# 336; Ő Latin Capital Letter O With Double Acute (Capital O Double Acute)
                              &# 337; ő Latin Small Letter O With Double Acute (Small O Double Acute)
                              &# 338; ΠLatin Capital Ligature OE (Capital O E)
                              &# 339; œ Latin Small Ligature OE (Small O E)
                              &# 340; Ŕ Latin Capital Letter R With Acute (Capital R Acute)
                              &# 341; ŕ Latin Small Letter R With Acute (Small R Acute)
                              &# 342; Ŗ Latin Capital Letter R With Cedilla (Capital R Cedilla)
                              &# 343; ŗ Latin Small Letter R With Cedilla (Small R Cedilla)
                              &# 344; Ř Latin Capital Letter R With Caron (Capital R Hacek)
                              &# 345; ř Latin Small Letter R With Caron (Small R Hacek)
                              &# 346; Ś Latin Capital Letter S With Acute (Capital S Acute)
                              &# 347; ś Latin Small Letter S With Acute (Small S Acute)
                              &# 348; Ŝ Latin Capital Letter S With Circumflex (Capital S Circumflex)
                              &# 349; ŝ Latin Small Letter S With Circumflex (Small S Circumflex)
                              &# 350; Ş Latin Capital Letter S With Cedilla (Capital S Cedilla)
                              &# 351; ş Latin Small Letter S With Cedilla (Small S Cedilla)
                              &# 352; Š Latin Capital Letter S With Caron (Capital S Hacek)
                              &# 353; š Latin Small Letter S With Caron (Small S Hacek)
                              &# 354; Ţ Latin Capital Letter T With Cedilla (Capital T Cedilla)
                              &# 355; ţ Latin Small Letter T With Cedilla (Small T Cedilla)
                              &# 356; Ť Latin Capital Letter T With Caron (Capital T Hacek)
                              &# 357; ť Latin Small Letter T With Caron (Small T Hacek)
                              &# 358; Ŧ Latin Capital Letter T With Stroke (Capital T Bar)
                              &# 359; ŧ Latin Small Letter T With Stroke (Small T Bar)
                              &# 360; Ũ Latin Capital Letter U With Tilde (Capital U Tilde)
                              &# 361; ũ Latin Small Letter U With Tilde (Small U Tilde)
                              &# 362; Ū Latin Capital Letter U With Macron (Capital U Macron)
                              &# 363; ū Latin Small Letter U With Macron (Small U Macron)
                              &# 364; Ŭ Latin Capital Letter U With Breve (Capital U Breve)
                              &# 365; ŭ Latin Small Letter U With Breve (Small U Breve)
                              &# 366; Ů Latin Capital Letter U With Ring Above (Capital U Ring)
                              &# 367; ů Latin Small Letter U With Ring Above (Small U Ring)
                              &# 368; Ű Latin Capital Letter U With Double Acute (Capital U Double Acute)
                              &# 369; ű Latin Small Letter U With Double Acute (Small U Double Acute)
                              &# 370; Ų Latin Capital Letter U With Ogonek (Capital U Ogonek)
                              &# 371; ų Latin Small Letter U With Ogonek (Small U Ogonek)
                              &# 372; Ŵ Latin Capital Letter W With Circumflex (Capital W Circumflex)
                              &# 373; ŵ Latin Small Letter W With Circumflex (Small W Circumflex)
                              &# 374; Ŷ Latin Capital Letter Y With Circumflex (Capital Y Circumflex)
                              &# 375; ŷ Latin Small Letter Y With Circumflex (Small Y Circumflex)
                              &# 376; Ÿ Latin Capital Letter Y With Diaeresis (Capital Y Diaeresis)
                              &# 377; Ź Latin Capital Letter Z With Acute (Capital Z Acute)
                              &# 378; ź Latin Small Letter Z With Acute (Small Z Acute)
                              &# 379; Ż Latin Capital Letter Z With Dot Above (Capital Z Dot)
                              &# 380; ż Latin Small Letter Z With Dot Above (Small Z Dot)
                              &# 381; Ž Latin Capital Letter Z With Caron (Capital Z Hacek)
                              &# 382; ž Latin Small Letter Z With Caron (Small Z Hacek)
                              &# 383; ſ Latin Small Letter Long S
                              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X